Formatting NTFS Hard Drive

Mike

Splendid

I've dropped an NTFS hard drive in as a second hard drive and want to format
it. It won't let me though!!

Is there something tucked away in XP that will allow me to do this? The
original hard drive isn't NTFS.

Thanks

> I've dropped an NTFS hard drive in as a second hard drive and want to
format
> it. It won't let me though!!
>
> Is there something tucked away in XP that will allow me to do this? The
> original hard drive isn't NTFS.
>
> Thanks

Please be specific! State how you're trying to format it,
why it won't let you, what the message is (if any). Say
also if you have partitioned the drive.

Mike

Splendid

So far I've tried just adding it as a second drive, right clicking it and
selecting format.

I've also tried installing win2000 and XP home on it to delete the
partition. When i delete the partition it allows me to delete the partition
which i do. However, what I have now is XP home, Win2000 and XP Home (again)
as boot options!!

All I want to do is format it so I can use it for storage. Doesn't matter
if it comes out as FAT32 or NTFS.

Thanks.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've dropped an NTFS hard drive in as a second hard drive and want to
> format
> > it. It won't let me though!!
> >
> > Is there something tucked away in XP that will allow me to do this? The
> > original hard drive isn't NTFS.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Please be specific! State how you're trying to format it,
> why it won't let you, what the message is (if any). Say
> also if you have partitioned the drive.

You must create a partition before you can format it.
All of this you can do in the WinXP Storage Manager.
Starting a WinXP installation is a very round-about way
of managing partitions!

I recommend you click Start / Help and Support, then
type "partition" or "format" in the text box. Study the
relevant guides - there is lots of useful information there!

> So far I've tried just adding it as a second drive, right clicking it and
> selecting format.
>
> I've also tried installing win2000 and XP home on it to delete the
> partition. When i delete the partition it allows me to delete the
partition
> which i do. However, what I have now is XP home, Win2000 and XP Home
(again)
> as boot options!!
>
> All I want to do is format it so I can use it for storage. Doesn't matter
> if it comes out as FAT32 or NTFS.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've dropped an NTFS hard drive in as a second hard drive and want to
> > format
> > > it. It won't let me though!!
> > >
> > > Is there something tucked away in XP that will allow me to do this?
The
> > > original hard drive isn't NTFS.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Please be specific! State how you're trying to format it,
> > why it won't let you, what the message is (if any). Say
> > also if you have partitioned the drive.

Mike

Splendid

Thanks. Will do.