Question Formatting SSD, am I losing my HDD programs?

FioGermi

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Good evening!

I'm getting a little uncomfortable with my PC performance recently and I would like to format or getting a clean installation of Windows 10. I have my OS in a SSD and all the programs and games (Steam, Epic, etc.) in TWO HDDs. My question is: Will I be able to use my programs and games on my HDDs or I will have to reinstall all of it again? That's basically what's stopping me because I wouldn't like to reinstall almost 2tb of games all over again if I have an efficient way to avoid that.

Thank you so much for your help!

Endre

Reputable
Good evening!

I'm getting a little uncomfortable with my PC performance recently and I would like to format or getting a clean installation of Windows 10. I have my OS in a SSD and all the programs and games (Steam, Epic, etc.) in TWO HDDs. My question is: Will I be able to use my programs and games on my HDDs or I will have to reinstall all of it again? That's basically what's stopping me because I wouldn't like to reinstall almost 2tb of games all over again if I have an efficient way to avoid that.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello!

If you re-install Windows clean, then yes, you'll have to also re-install the drivers, programs, games, etc.

Reactions: FioGermi

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Will I be able to use my programs and games on my HDDs or I will have to reinstall all of it again?
I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you don't move any folders around, once you reinstall Windows on the SSD, it should recognize everything perfectly. The other drives (HDDs) have nothing to do with the SSD, so you should not have to reinstall your games. It should be fine.

USAFRet

Titan
A clean OS install means a reinstall of all your applications as well.
No matter where they live.

Games from one of the major platforms like Steam may be OK, depending on where they are.
But the Steam client, and all your other applications WILL need to be reinstalled.

Reactions: Endre