[SOLVED] Formatting Toshiba external hdd

Amy_44

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
My Toshiba hdd is supposed to be 1tb but shows as 32gb. I followed online instructions to delete the recovery partition and restore it. However, following these instructions asked me to delete the partition. I have but now my tosh isn't showing up at all. I'm looking to fix both problems, the latter first. Thank you!

Solution

If you deleted the partition on the Toshiba...

Amy_44

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016

No, because the toshiba disappeared. The D: drive has disappeared from both Disk Management and My PC. It's plugged in, been reattached, tried to see if the USB port is faulty. It's not that. This was working fine until early this morning after I deleted a recovery file for Win 10 and then tried to recover the storage on DM. When I deleted the partition on DM, it completely disappeared and when I reconnect the hdd it doesn't show up at all as if it's not even plugged in. Thank you for responding!

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Plug your HDD
Open device manager
look for the external HDD in the device manager and uninstall the driver
Then replug the HDD

If it shows up as unknown device then the HDD must have some sort of HW failure, not the HDD itself but the electronics.

By what you say, it seems that the problem is in your PC recognizing the drive.
Did you try it in any other PC?

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018

If you deleted the partition on the Toshiba which was the D: drive you will not see anything on it called D: drive (or any other letter) in the list at the top of Disk Management. You need to look at the horizontal row(s) lower down with Disk0 (and possibly Disk1 etc) in the left hand column.

Open Disk Management without the USB drive connected then watch while you plug in the drive. If it is working you will hear a beep and a new Disk row will appear at the bottom (scroll down if necessary). A label by the disk number will say removable drive.

If this happens the drive is working and you can create a new partition (simple volume) on it.

Solution