Former id Software Worker Gives Gloomy Doom 4 Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible of me to say, but who really is waiting for DOOM 4? Its been over a decade since DOOM 3 and 2 decades since DOOM 2... There isn't anyone holding their breath for this release (cause they would have passed on a decade ago if they were... yeah, lame joke). While DOOM was a revolutionary game in a way, taking the ball from Wolfenstein and running with it; It really was more of a bridging title to the most important game in early history of that genre, Quake.

I for one can wait for them to get it right. No need to rush it... it's been 10 years already... what's the harm in waiting another 5?

Doom has lost it's aura long ago, Doom 3 and the many other mediocre ID titles since their glory days already did the damage and now this report. i have even less hope than I did before and that was about 2%.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
After getting bored with Doom 3 half way through (around the area where I got the Soul Cube) I tried to finish it a few months ago. I didn't get much farther, got bored again and quit. It's just too long, too many samey corridors, so if that's what Doom 4 had in store, I won't care if it never comes out. I would rather see Rage 2. I didn't even like that game at first, but after about 4 hours in, I was loving it and I wished there was more, especially after the ending, so maybe they'll scrap doom altogether and make Rage 2 instead. At least I'll be satisfied.

I am.

I still play the original Doom and Doom II about once every year or two just for fun. The no-holds-barred art style is still a little creepy and the level design is still enjoyable 20 years on. Doom 3 wasn't a perfect game but had a great dark and claustrophobic atmosphere that I really enjoyed.

I'm not saying DOOM is a bad series... frankly DOOM2 was freakin' great. hell DOOM1 was amazing too, just saying I can't imagine anyone is "holding their breath" for this one. With series like Crysis, Quake, MW, CoD, Halo ... and on and on, the FPS genre is filled with AAA+ titles from top to bottom... I'd rather see this series just be shelved till they can do it right, then have them rush it out half done.

We waited 10 years for this game we can wait longer i think. Its not like there is nothing good to play in this genre.

Oh I certainly agree with that. I'm not holding my breath for it any time soon but I am waiting for it. If it takes them a couple more years to do it, then so be it.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Terrible of me to say, but who really is waiting for DOOM 4? Its been over a decade since DOOM 3 and 2 decades since DOOM 2... There isn't anyone holding their breath for this release (cause they would have passed on a decade ago if they were... yeah, lame joke). While DOOM was a revolutionary game in a way, taking the ball from Wolfenstein and running with it; It really was more of a bridging title to the most important game in early history of that genre, Quake.

I for one can wait for them to get it right. No need to rush it... it's been 10 years already... what's the harm in waiting another 5?

Disagree. Doom 2 was the most important early FPS. HL was the most important late 90s FPS. Counterstrike wasn't just a mod, it was a way of life... :D

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't hype up Wolfenstein's The New Order sales by offering early access to a Duke Nukem Forever style Doom game that'll probably never get released. id Software lost a large following by selling out to Bethesda and have gone down ever since. Rage had potential and just became a colossal failure. Many of the FPS founding companies are dying painful deaths. First 3D Realms, id Software currently by a thousand cuts, Epic nearly sank itself trying to milk Gears of War had they not got out of that business, and Valve, well they do their own thing and making games isn't nearly as big of a priority for them.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
hmmm... If Doom was developed to cater towards the expectations of today's gamers it would probably be unrecognizable apart from the name.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Doom & Doom 2 were many things: a "bridging title" was not one of them. The fact you suggest that and hold a strong place for Quake just means you're a slightly younger generation.

Indeed Doom was legendary and no mere bridge. Wolfenstein was the weak sister of the three. IMO Quake was also seminal. ID just hit three homers in a row and then plateaued with Quake 2 and Quake 3 arena and then went down fast.

Sep 22, 2013
Later on in the review, the former employee begins to spill the juicy DOOM 4 details, reporting that the entire tech team has quit and moved over to Oculus VR. They exited the company in February in protest to the way management was treating the employees and contractors.

Wow, if that doesn't lend credibility to id's lawsuit laying claim to some of the IP associated with Oculus Rift, I don't know what does.

I'd say John Carmack is the dick behind this, too. This guy has been playing double agent for some time, going so far as to downplay the newer console systems as irrelevant and trying to completely disassociate the Rift from any other platform other than PC gaming.

Now that a bunch of id'ers have followed him to Oculus, it's no surprise they're trying to rebuff with a suggestion of "bad working conditions" to deter support for id's claim to the Rift IP.

Something stinks like shadiness to me.

While they are considered AAA titles, I wouldn't call them AAA quality. Most of those you mentioned are yearly cash grabs with no real heart put into them.

I personally hope whatever they do with DooM 4 that they keep to the Doom ideal and make it fast paced and full of action.

This would be in the same vein as asking if HL3 is worth the wait, when I would say it is as it is not a yearly cash grab but a veteran franchise that deserves a fair try.

Which is strange as I have seen quotes of him saying he is more interested in the consoles currently than PC.

Maybe he is just going crazy.

you do know quake came out in 1995 right? one year behind Doom2...

Frankly i thought Doom and Doom2 were great games... but they never had the impact quake did.

Younger generation? I remember playing (and loving) Wolfenstien on the Mac in 1992.. when it came out in the

bvcxz

Reputable
May 18, 2014

ratchet256

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
" and claims that there is a lack of professionalism. "Expect lots of inappropriate jokes, comments and a generally unprofessional work environment. "

Oh, yeah, because all the greatest games have come from completely professional, completely humorless and perfectly politically correct work environments right? Fuck you. None of this has anything to do with how good the game is, or even how good it could be. So even if the work environment does suck, who gives a shit? The game could still be great for all we know.

This is all nothing but hype and bullshit, I'll see for myself if Doom 4 (or whatever it's going to be called) is crap when I play it.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
People rag on companies that release titles half-assed and without a care as quick cash grabs, yet when id software takes their time to release a Doom title they can be proud of, people cry foul.

Typical.

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Considering the source, I'd have to take this story with a grain of salt. The mere fact that this person is a former employee suggests that this person was not satisfied with the company, and it is only natural that he would not report favorably on the state of their games that are still in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.