Former Intel Employee Pleads Guilty to Data Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
As long as AMD is in the clear for not knowing then justice is served. You can give me a $400 million chip design but it doesn’t do me any good with only a soldering iron. :)

20 years? For each?
I wonder how many years the fraudsters from the banks and other financial institutions will get.
Oh, right, nevermind. They all got promoted or played musical chairs between jobs.
This one dude gets the shaft, though, because he defrauded a corporation. Not that I applaud what he did, but when it's the other way around, nothing happens to said corporations.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]20 years? For each?I wonder how many years the fraudsters from the banks and other financial institutions will get.Oh, right, nevermind. They all got promoted or played musical chairs between jobs. This one dude gets the shaft, though, because he defrauded a corporation. Not that I applaud what he did, but when it's the other way around, nothing happens to said corporations.[/citation]
Welcome to America! Would you like the capitalist schlong in your mouth now or later?

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well that was a stupid move by him. but he was still employed at the time he downloaded it, which means he was allowed to do so and AMD has nothing to do with this or there's no evidence that the information was ever provided to AMD. If he had a good lawyer he could have gotten away with this. Correct me if i'm wrong but usually if you work for a company with secretive information they do a security search you before you leave?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The data he prob stole was from the Intel Atom and AMD took a look at it and said, if we design our chips in the future around this, we will surely go bankrupt no thanks. LOL

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]"36-year Biswamohan Pani old has pleaded guilty of stealing chip..."Folks, for the sake of professionalism, please proofread your articles.[/citation]

I have a years 9 child old who would do a better job than are they currently.

buddhabelly34

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]I have a years 9 child old who would do a better job than are they currently.[/citation]
Irony at it's finest.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Well that was a stupid move by him. but he was still employed at the time he downloaded it, which means he was allowed to do so and AMD has nothing to do with this or there's no evidence that the information was ever provided to AMD. If he had a good lawyer he could have gotten away with this. Correct me if i'm wrong but usually if you work for a company with secretive information they do a security search you before you leave?[/citation]
There are these things called non-disclosure agreements and proprietary information, both of which apply at all times regardless of your employer.

Even if you were a government employee, it doesn't mean you can just download and share classified/secret/top secret materials with other people, especially those outside of the government.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Too bad his name is too long and complex to become some type of cultural standard. Now none of us will get much comedic value out of this debacle of thought-absenteeism.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]20 years? For each?I wonder how many years the fraudsters from the banks and other financial institutions will get.Oh, right, nevermind. They all got promoted or played musical chairs between jobs. This one dude gets the shaft, though, because he defrauded a corporation. Not that I applaud what he did, but when it's the other way around, nothing happens to said corporations.[/citation]
Care to give even one specific example? Or are they just so "numerous" that it is impossible to pick one? My suspicion is that any specific example you can give can be easily shown to be nothing like your general argument makes it out to be. Keep in mind you stated that corporations and/or responsible parties in said corporations were knowingly rewarded or promoted for defrauding the public. I await eagerly for your response...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Some companies put restrictions on key personnel who have access to highly confidential and high value information from joining direct competitors when they leave. It's good the FBI did the investigation otherwise Intel would be accusing AMD of orchestrating the theft.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I wouldn't say this is fraud really. I would say it is industrial espionage which can be more serious because it is irreversible because what has been learned cannot be unlearned.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@cookoy:

While this is true, in most cases the restrictions are unenforceable in the state of California. The state decided during the internet bust that having thousands of people who were perfectly capable, but unable to work at a viable company because they were legally tied to an unviable one might not be such a good thing. So they lowered their unemployment costs by making such employment contract clauses null-and-void. In most cases. From what I've seen, even the CxO level gets some leeway with such terms, and the burden is on the previous employer to show that not only is the transition damaging due to strategic competitive intelligence, but also that the individual could reasonably get a similar job but in a non-competing role.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]buddhabelly34[/nom]Oh jeez... its*** HAHAHAHAHA[/citation]

I love how 3 people corrected each others' grammar and they all made mistakes.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I love how 3 people corrected each others' grammar and they all made mistakes.[/citation]
No one corrected the first guys grammar, one person made a comment and made a spelling mistake and they corrected their own mistake in the next post :)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Obviously nothing was stolen since AMD is still lagging behind. I hope they do catch up though, as Intel is just sitting on new tech rather than releasing it.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
His wife was working for AMD at the time, why no mentioning about it?
It's the easiest way for AMD to have known about the documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.