Question Formerly working PC freezes right after POST on discrete GPU, no POST on integrated graphics

Patrick_6

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
My PC which had been working for years recently shut down for no apparent reason while idle.

When I tried to reboot a few times, it would sometimes freeze on the initial UEFI screen, and sometimes right after beginning to load the OS. Reloading UEFI defaults made no difference.

Removing the graphics card and attempting to use the motherboard video port results in no video output at all. My CPU is an i5-3570 so it should have integrated graphics. The CPU fan still spins even when there is no output.

Disconnecting peripherals made no difference.

I swapped out both the power supply and RAM from a working PC and that also made no difference.

Having disconnected or swapped everything else, I presume either the motherboard or the CPU is failing. I can't swap those since I don't have any other motherboard or CPU using the same socket. Which would be the more likely problem with these symptoms?

Schlachtwolf

Respectable
More likely the Mobo than the CPU itself, but without testing the CPU in another board who can be sure....... however in my experience a CPU will rarely slowly die, it works or it's dead, not much in-between.

Patrick_6

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
I have similar results with all drives disconnected -- still no video on integrated graphics, and with the discrete graphics card it freezes either after a little while in the UEFI settings, or sometimes before getting there.

Patrick_6

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Removing the battery seemed for a moment to have fixed it. The machine was able to boot the OS but then froze soon after. After trying to restart again, it is back to freezing on the UEFI screen.

Schlachtwolf

Respectable
Vou can try a new CMOS battery, normally a 2032 Lithium is the right size but check what it is in your system to get the right one. That only cost a few dollors but might be the source of the problem, certainly worth a try.

Patrick_6

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Even with the battery removed, the system still froze after a couple of minutes.

After trying to restart yet again, it seems to be even worse. I no longer see any video output even with the GPU installed. Furthermore, instead of running continuously, the CPU fan now sometimes briefly stops spinning and then restarts.

The case I was using didn't have a speaker, but I have since tried a different case with a speaker. I hear nothing when trying to start with the graphics card installed, but 5 beeps when trying to start without it. The manual for my motherboard (ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 ) seems to be missing a list of beep codes. Their web site has an FAQ entry (https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=beep+code#FAQa286) identifying it as "Without VGA card" though it's not clear which motherboard that applies to.

Even with the battery removed, the system still froze after a couple of minutes.

After trying to restart yet again, it seems to be even worse. I no longer see any video output even with the GPU installed. Furthermore, instead of running continuously, the CPU fan now sometimes briefly stops spinning and then restarts.

The case I was using didn't have a speaker, but I have since tried a different case with a speaker. I hear nothing when trying to start with the graphics card installed, but 5 beeps when trying to start without it. The manual for my motherboard (ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 ) seems to be missing a list of beep codes. Their web site has an FAQ entry (https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=beep+code#FAQa286) identifying it as "Without VGA card" though it's not clear which motherboard that applies to.
Is your power supply a good quality?
Have you tried doing a close visual inspection of your motherboard for any signs of damage?

Patrick_6

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Is your power supply a good quality?
Have you tried doing a close visual inspection of your motherboard for any signs of damage?
The main power is a 600W EVGA 600B, which I think is reasonable quality. It is a bit old but I'd hope it can still supply more than enough power to run the system on integrated graphics.

The alternate power supply, which I only tried without the discrete graphics card, is a 350W FSP VR400. Not as powerful, but it works in another PC.

I looked over both the front and back of the motherboard and don't see any cracks, scorching, or any other apparent problem.

The main power is a 600W EVGA 600B, which I think is reasonable quality. It is a bit old but I'd hope it can still supply more than enough power to run the system on integrated graphics.

The alternate power supply, which I only tried without the discrete graphics card, is a 350W FSP VR400. Not as powerful, but it works in another PC.

I looked over both the front and back of the motherboard and don't see any cracks, scorching, or any other apparent problem.
According to this article, 5 short beeps from an AMI BIOS indicates "there has been a processor error. A damaged expansion card, the CPU, or the motherboard could be prompting this AMI beep code."

https://www.lifewire.com/amibios-beep-codes-2624543

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS