Fort Ludios portal out broken??

user

Splendid

I've been playing NetHack on and off for about a year now, but maybe a
month ago I ran into a somewhat obnoxious problem.

Found the portal into Fort Ludios and cleared it thoroughly. I spent a
few trips in and out to be satisfied I got everything, but on my last
trip I got stuck inside. I have no idea why, but the portal no longer
teleports me back to the main dungeon. I've tried taking off my
teleport control ring, #sitting on the portal, dropping *everything*
from my inventory.... it just sits there and happily tells me "There is
a magic portal here." when I :.

Help anyone? Would love to save this guy, he's on a solid ascention
track from what I can tell and #quit would be so unpleasant.

Thanks!

777 wrote:
> [stuck in Ludios]

Don't suppose you happen to have the Eye of Ethiopia or any other means
of level teleporting at will do you?

user

Splendid

> Don't suppose you happen to have the Eye of Ethiopia or any other
means
> of level teleporting at will do you?

Didn't do Quest yet (playing a neutral wizard), and I don't have any
other level teleport means (that I know of?). I'd be long gone from
Ludios if I did ;-)
Also don't have any means of wishing or getting a wish (no smoky pots,
lamps, etc)

user

Splendid

Ian Stirling wrote:
[other means of level teleporting at will]

> Have a magic marker?
> Know scrolls of teleport?
> Cancel/dip a scroll to get blank.
> Write scroll of teleport, get confused)

No magic marker, no ?oTele on me. Just a wand and the innate ability
and a blank scroll taunting me.
Ludios is anti-tele anyway... or does that not apply to level teleport?

user

Splendid

james wrote:
> [stuck in Ludious]
>
> But what's going on here? Is the problem something like
> no free space on the dungeon level with the portal?

Wish I knew... how could I tell that? If you mean in terms of no free
memory or something odd like that, I can't believe that, the server the
game is on is considerable.

The portal simply does nothing, other than say its a magical portal. It
worked several times in and out, and now refuses to do anything when I
step on it.

user

Splendid

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> You dont happen to be levitating do you?

Nope... I can pick items up off the floor fine, or #sit, etc.

777 <jonathanshor@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Don't suppose you happen to have the Eye of Ethiopia or any other
> means
>> of level teleporting at will do you?
>
> Didn't do Quest yet (playing a neutral wizard), and I don't have any
> other level teleport means (that I know of?). I'd be long gone from
> Ludios if I did ;-)

Have a magic marker?
Know scrolls of teleport?
Cancel/dip a scroll to get blank.
Write scroll of teleport, get confused)

James

In article <425185b2$0$42310$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[stuck in Ludious]

But what's going on here? Is the problem something like
no free space on the dungeon level with the portal?

777 <jonathanshor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Stirling wrote:
> [other means of level teleporting at will]
>
>> Have a magic marker?
>> Know scrolls of teleport?
>> Cancel/dip a scroll to get blank.
>> Write scroll of teleport, get confused)
>
> No magic marker, no ?oTele on me. Just a wand and the innate ability
> and a blank scroll taunting me.
> Ludios is anti-tele anyway... or does that not apply to level teleport?

I totally forgot about that, sorry.

user

Splendid

Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
> What does it tell you if you sit? "Having fun sitting on the floor?"
> or something else?

First, I have a ring of Lev, and if I put it on and take it off I
"float gently to the floor."
Interesting though, if I #sit on a non-portal hex I get the "Having fun
sitting on the floor?" message. #sit on the portal hex gives "You sit
down."

Any help here?

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

777 wrote:

> Andrew D. Hilton wrote:
>> What does it tell you if you sit? "Having fun sitting on the floor?"
>> or something else?
>
> First, I have a ring of Lev, and if I put it on and take it off I
> "float gently to the floor."
> Interesting though, if I #sit on a non-portal hex I get the "Having fun
> sitting on the floor?" message. #sit on the portal hex gives "You sit
> down."
>
> Any help here?

A quick source dive seems to indicate that if you have a pet on a cursed
leash (or a steed carrying the amulet) the portal won't activate but you
will shudder. Alternatively if the game thinks you are arriving from
another level nothing at all will happen, but that shouldn't apply here.

user

Splendid

Duncan Booth wrote:
> A quick source dive seems to indicate that if you have a pet on a
cursed
> leash (or a steed carrying the amulet) the portal won't activate but
you
> will shudder. Alternatively if the game thinks you are arriving from
> another level nothing at all will happen, but that shouldn't apply
here.

No leash or pet, no steed and definitely no amulet.

What are the specifics of the game thinking I'm arriving from another
level? Thinking maybe the answer is here, for nothing else applies even
remotely...

Trajic wrote:

> Maybe the throne can give you a wish?

And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.

Raisse, killed by an electric shock

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:

> Trajic wrote:
>
> > Maybe the throne can give you a wish?
>
> And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.

From scrl-343.txt:

|teleportation
|[..]
| cursed or confused
| If you are not carrying the Amulet of Yendor, you teleport to another
| level. If you have teleport control, you can choose which level
| (with limits); if you are confused, there is a chance that the
| teleport may be random regardless.

Note that there's no "No no-port level" condition phrased,
as opposed to the blessed/uncursed cases. IIUC, this should
mean that level-port by c?oT is also possible on no-port
levels (but maybe Dylan can help us here to clarify this).

Best,
Jakob

user

Splendid

Yashichi wrote:
> What if a long worm has grown so that its tail is blocking the return
> portal? Is that possible in this case? I know worm tails have
> occasionally prevented me from teleporting.

Well, if that's a possibility I'm pretty hosed, eh? Unless I can get a
wish for a scroll of genocide and take out the worms?

I don't think I have any way of getting a wish though.

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.

Maybe the Eye of Aethiopica would create a new portal if invoked?

user

Splendid

Trajic wrote:
> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> >
> > And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.
>
> Maybe the Eye of Aethiopica would create a new portal if invoked?

Message 3 says:
>> Don't suppose you happen to have the Eye of Ethiopia or any other
means
>> of level teleporting at will do you?
>
>Didn't do Quest yet (playing a neutral wizard), and I don't have any
>other level teleport means (that I know of?). I'd be long gone from
>Ludios if I did ;-)

Plus, with Knox being anti-teleport, would the Eye even work?

777 wrote:
> Trajic wrote:
> > Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> > >
> > > And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.
> >
> > Maybe the Eye of Aethiopica would create a new portal if invoked?
>
> Message 3 says:
> > > Don't suppose you happen to have the Eye of Ethiopia or any other
> > > means of level teleporting at will do you?
> >
> > Didn't do Quest yet (playing a neutral wizard), and I don't have
any
> > other level teleport means (that I know of?). I'd be long gone from
> > Ludios if I did ;-)

Oops, sorry. I forgot that you were playing a wizard.

> Plus, with Knox being anti-teleport, would the Eye even work?

Maybe - the spoiler [ art1-341.html ] says it creates a single-use
portal rather than level-porting.

You could try wishing for a magic marker/scrolls of genocide and then
genociding whatever you think is blocking the portal on the other side.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:26:33 -0700, 777 wrote:

> Duncan Booth wrote:
>> A quick source dive seems to indicate that if you have a pet on a
> cursed
>> leash (or a steed carrying the amulet) the portal won't activate but
> you
>> will shudder. Alternatively if the game thinks you are arriving from
>> another level nothing at all will happen, but that shouldn't apply
> here.
>
> No leash or pet, no steed and definitely no amulet.
>
> What are the specifics of the game thinking I'm arriving from another
> level? Thinking maybe the answer is here, for nothing else applies even
> remotely...

What if a long worm has grown so that its tail is blocking the return
portal? Is that possible in this case? I know worm tails have
occasionally prevented me from teleporting.

--
"We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
>>Trajic wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe the throne can give you a wish?
>>And what would he wish for? Teleportation doesn't work.
> From scrl-343.txt:
>
> |teleportation
> |[..]
> | cursed or confused
> | If you are not carrying the Amulet of Yendor, you teleport to another
> | level. If you have teleport control, you can choose which level
> | (with limits); if you are confused, there is a chance that the
> | teleport may be random regardless.
>
> Note that there's no "No no-port level" condition phrased,
> as opposed to the blessed/uncursed cases. IIUC, this should
> mean that level-port by c?oT is also possible on no-port
> levels (but maybe Dylan can help us here to clarify this).

You can't level-port out of Ludios.
[teleport.c]
/* if in Knox and the requested level > 0, stay put.
* we let negative values requests fall into the "heaven" loop.
*/
if (Is_knox(&u.uz) && newlev > 0) {
You(shudder_for_moment);
return;

user

Splendid

Trajic wrote:
> You could try wishing for a magic marker/scrolls of genocide and then
> genociding whatever you think is blocking the portal on the other
side.

OK, so... magic marker is prolly not gonna be worth the wish because I
don't know the scroll of genocide and I only have a total of two
scrolls on me. If I recall correctly, most of my stuff is stashed on a
few levels out in the main dungeon.

But, wishing for some genocide scrolls sounds like my only chance, if a
long worm's tail can in fact lock me in here.... I'll try anything at
this point, haha.
How can I get a wish?? I have no lamps, my two potions are
(paralysis)murky and (healing)golden... if it helps, the only creatures
on the level right now are a peaceful grey unicorn, a peaceful garter
snake, and a mountain nymph.

Is there concensus that a long worm's tail is blocking me in? What else
could block me in and cause the portal to just not work at all??

777 wrote:
> Is there concensus that a long worm's tail is blocking me in? What
else
> could block me in and cause the portal to just not work at all??

To me this sounds like a very very interesting scenario and I think it
would probably be a good idea for you to save all of your game files,
save files, whatever so that someone maybe could debug further - if
that is possible? Anyone know if this can be debugged with a special
version of NH?

theKapn