Question Fortnite Crashing

Nov 3, 2021
Hi All,

Just bought my son a new PC for Christmas, but it keeps crashing on Fortnite.

Key spec of the Pc is:
RTX 3090
i9 12900k
32 GB RAM
Monitor - Samsung G75 32 inch

I’m also struggling to set the monitor to 240 Hz which the monitor is capable of - can only choose 144Hz in windows 11 settings.

Any ideas welcome to help a disappointed son at Christmas!

Many thanks

Nov 3, 2021
Crash back to desktop. It says if you’re issuing rendering v12 there are issues but I’m using v11.
PSU is Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
Feels like it might be something to do with graphics settings i have selected in some way?

Nov 3, 2021
Crash back to desktop. It says if you’re issuing rendering v12 there are issues but I’m using v11.
PSU is Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
Feels like it might be something to do with graphics settings i have selected in some way?

*using rendering (not issuing)

Nov 3, 2021
I’ve updated to the latest driver for the RTX 3090 which was released on 20th December (after it had already crashed a couple of times). Any recommendations of which one I should try?

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Hi Misbis,

how have you got the PC connected to Monitor, HDMI, Display port, or mixture of both i.e display port to HDMI?

do you have G-force experience and Nvidia control panel installed?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021
Hi Misbis,

how have you got the PC connected to Monitor, HDMI, Display port, or mixture of both i.e display port to HDMI?

do you have G-force experience and Nvidia control panel installed?

I have the PC connected to the monitor via HDMI directly into the RTX 3090. Not using display port cable / ports.

I have both G-Force experience and Nvidea control panel installed

Nov 3, 2021
It happens randomly when playing - usually 20 mins or so into a game.

Are there any downsides to using DisplayPort? I.e. higher refresh rate but do you compromise on graphics quality?

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
It happens randomly when playing - usually 20 mins or so into a game.

Are there any downsides to using DisplayPort? I.e. higher refresh rate but do you compromise on graphics quality?

Hi Misbis,

With the hardware your running in PC there shouldn't be any compromise with graphics at 240Hz

in terms of error can you try the following.

click start->type %localappdata% (press enter)>click fortniteGame>Saved>config>WindowsClient>Right Click on UserGameSettings>Select Properties>Uncheck Read Only>Open GameUserSetting (Double Click)> Scroll down to bottom and change

"[D3DRHIPreference]"
bUseD3D12InGame=False

from False to True

File>save

right click on GamerUserSettings>Select Properties> Check Read Only

test in game

Nov 3, 2021
Hi Misbis,

With the hardware your running in PC there shouldn't be any compromise with graphics at 240Hz

in terms of error can you try the following.

click start->type %localappdata% (press enter)>click fortniteGame>Saved>config>WindowsClient>Right Click on UserGameSettings>Select Properties>Uncheck Read Only>Open GameUserSetting (Double Click)> Scroll down to bottom and change

"[D3DRHIPreference]"
bUseD3D12InGame=False

from False to True

File>save

right click on GamerUserSettings>Select Properties> Check Read Only

test in game

Thanks - will give that a go shortly.

Would this cable from Amazon be any good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094D4C565/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6AMMJMH0F8H7S40WYFG4

Nov 3, 2021
Don’t recall one - but to be honest I was setting up quite quickly on Xmas eve and already had a HDMI so wasn’t paying too much attention to it.

Just tried your suggestion re: D3DRHIPreference, but it still crashes c. 20 mins into game play. The message says:

UE-Fortnite
Fortnite has crashed. We’re very sorry this happened and we are working towards preventing it in the future . You can get help online at Fortnite Technical Support. If you have experienced multiple crashes with Direct X rendering mode beta consider switching to Direct X 11.

I’m using DX11 so the latter point is not relevant.

I haven’t switched the cable yet - but I presume it shouldn’t be crashing because of this.

Any other ideas please?

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Don’t recall one - but to be honest I was setting up quite quickly on Xmas eve and already had a HDMI so wasn’t paying too much attention to it.

Just tried your suggestion re: D3DRHIPreference, but it still crashes c. 20 mins into game play. The message says:

UE-Fortnite
Fortnite has crashed. We’re very sorry this happened and we are working towards preventing it in the future . You can get help online at Fortnite Technical Support. If you have experienced multiple crashes with Direct X rendering mode beta consider switching to Direct X 11.

I’m using DX11 so the latter point is not relevant.

I haven’t switched the cable yet - but I presume it shouldn’t be crashing because of this.

Any other ideas please?
Hi Misbis,

no really shouldn'd be crashing you are correct.

open Epic games launcher ->Settings ->Fortnite (scroll to bottom)->Check Additional Command Line Arguments-> type D3D11

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Hi Misbis,

no really shouldn'd be crashing you are correct.

open Epic games launcher ->Settings ->Fortnite (scroll to bottom)->Check Additional Command Line Arguments-> type D3D11
I have the exact same issue, Zotac Twin Edge RTX 3070, 650W Corsair GOLD, i7 10700, what's the issue! I tried all solutions possible, it crashes even in d11! Even tried sending over the logs to Fortnite support but no response yet, no other games face this issue, GTA V, Control, Minecraft, Genshin, Cyberpunk, Witcher,F1 2021, COD Warzone, even in DirectX12, its a fortnite only issue!

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
I have the exact same issue, Zotac Twin Edge RTX 3070, 650W Corsair GOLD, i7 10700, what's the issue! I tried all solutions possible, it crashes even in d11! Even tried sending over the logs to Fortnite support but no response yet, no other games face this issue, GTA V, Control, Minecraft, Genshin, Cyberpunk, Witcher,F1 2021, COD Warzone, even in DirectX12, its a fortnite only issue!
Hi Tanish

Please start your own post.

Include all info on your full PC spec and setup

Also be specific about what you have tried tried

Also include error details. (Picture if possible)

Nov 3, 2021
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried your suggested solutions with the modifications within the game file folders.

I also switched the cable to the display port one - same issue.

I then tried Red Dead Redemption 2 (both online and offline) to see if it crashed (as its an AAA game) - and it did, but with no error message - just kicked me out of the game back to desktop.

Any further ideas? Non graphics intensive games work (like football manager and roblox)..