[SOLVED] Fortnite feels extremely choppy at 120 fps...

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
I'm using an asus gl553ve 60HZ laptop. I was told to cap fps at double hz so I did. It can reach 160 fps no issues.
It has an i7 7700hq gtx 1050 ti 16gb ram.
I've optimized, re-installed etc even made the fps cap unlimited and 60 but it feels choppy.
it just doesn't feel smooth at ALL.
any help?

Solution
Adaptive vsync, or FPS cap slightly above the monitor refresh so for example 62 and fastsync enabled.

Adaptive vsync will enable vsync above monitor refresh and below that it will disable it so you may get some stutter and tearing in those situations but it won’t drop you to 30fps.

Fastsync while generally geared towards 2 or 3 times the refresh rate of the monitor can be used with good success in some circumstances with an FPS cap in my experience and others. The very short version is it will display only fully rendered frames preventing tearing and will only display the latest rendered frame if memory serves me correctly. Either way lower input lag if implemented the way it was designed over vsync.

I imagine in your case you were...

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from effable : "Fortnite feels extremely choppy at 120 fps..."

I'm using an asus gl553ve 60HZ laptop. I was told to cap fps at double hz so I did. It can reach 160 fps no issues.
It has an i7 7700hq gtx 1050 ti 16gb ram.
I've optimized, re-installed etc even made the fps cap unlimited and 60 but it feels choppy.
it just doesn't feel smooth at ALL.
any help?

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from effable : "Could my laptop components cause stuttering?"

Hey! I have an asus gl553ve.
heres a userbenchmark : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14160001

everything was closed but userbenchmark
games like fortnite are optimized and i run at 120 fps+ and it stutters. it feels choppy and doesnt run smoothly. Plus when i run the game it lags my entire laptop.
any help?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Adaptive vsync, or FPS cap slightly above the monitor refresh so for example 62 and fastsync enabled.

Adaptive vsync will enable vsync above monitor refresh and below that it will disable it so you may get some stutter and tearing in those situations but it won’t drop you to 30fps.

Fastsync while generally geared towards 2 or 3 times the refresh rate of the monitor can be used with good success in some circumstances with an FPS cap in my experience and others. The very short version is it will display only fully rendered frames preventing tearing and will only display the latest rendered frame if memory serves me correctly. Either way lower input lag if implemented the way it was designed over vsync.

I imagine in your case you were supposed to enable fastsync but didn’t. So now your being hit with tearing, and stutter.

Solution