Question Fortnite FPS drops and stuttering on a super PC ?

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I recently upgraded my PC, so the system build is following:
  • Intel i9 13900K
  • RTX 4070 Ti OC Edition 12 GB
  • Asus Z790-P Wifi
  • Kingston DDR5 32 GB 6000 MHz
  • PSU 750W
  • SSD 2 TB (read/write speed 7000-7500
Extremely awesome PC indeed, not worried about performance anymore.

When playing Fortnite the average fps is around 300-600, and then suddenly, fps randomly drops fast to ~180-250, and the fast drop causes a stutter which does negatively affect my gameplay, especially in battles when my mouse decides to take a jet fly to somewhere else.

I had an older system too, and it acts the same even the overall fps was great too.

I'm using DX12 and HD textures.
I read that it would be stupid to run DX11 with such a system etc.

Does anybody know a fix or why is this happening, obviously it ain't system related.

Any tips accepted, I don't have issues with other games.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I recently upgraded my PC
We can see what you've upgraded to, what did you upgrade from?

PSU 750W
750W is the advertised wattage for the unit. You should include the make and model of the unit, including it's age if it's been in service for a while.

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I recently upgraded my PC
We can see what you've upgraded to, what did you upgrade from?

PSU 750W
750W is the advertised wattage for the unit. You should include the make and model of the unit, including it's age if it's been in service for a while.

Warzone 2 runs well, e.g. 200-300 fps in Battle Royale..

It's probably just about optimizing Fortnite correctly, dunno how.
The PSU is Asus ROG Strix 750W, modular ATX, 80 Plus Gold. It's 2 years old.

Previous system:
i9 10850K, 3060 Ti, MSI MB, DDR4 32 GB

Pretty much the same, but with cheaper components.

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
The old motherboard chipset was Z490. I installed a fresh Windows 10 version since the SSD was new and empty. Windows and drivers are up-to-date as always, same thing for NVIDIA drivers. Maybe I should use DX11 even though it says online that DX12 would be a better choice, but maybe it's not that good for this game then?

Last edited:

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Hello, you are not alone with this problem, contact support, whatever you do there is stuttering in Fortnite under DX12 and also on DX11, a lot of people are complaining about it on reddit for example, with a 4090… Look at my topic and I've been struggling for months.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/12af1w9/fortnite_chapitre_4_season_2_with_my_new_setup/

Good luck, we are all waiting for a fix.

It gets better after a while of playing it seems.

Nov 17, 2023
did u guys ever find a fix im experiencing the same thing on a great system but its weird bc i experienced it on both pcs ive had and its driving me crazy

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
did u guys ever find a fix im experiencing the same thing on a great system but its weird bc i experienced it on both pcs ive had and its driving me crazy
Hello,

Not really to be honest.
I think if you've been playing the game with the same GPU drivers for a while it does get better but still, there can be some drop spikes. I don't think it can be fixed completely though, it's likely a server-side/game-side issue.