[SOLVED] Fortnite ping

pc_gamer2018

Prominent
May 12, 2018
Ok so live in israel and i have an internet speed of: download:97-upload:15
Now i used to have 29-35 ping in creative which idk how is phyically possible since the closest server to me is in frankfurt but now i always have around 55-60 ping
(No this isnt a ping counter glitch i notice a major difference in my gameplay between the two ping because i had the 35 ping back for a couple of days and it was gone again)
Can someone please explain how it was possible for me to get that ping in the firstplace and maybe how i can get it back
(I dont use vpn)

Solution
You can do nothing to affect the path your data takes. You have one option you send your traffic to the ISP over the cable they provide. You have no other options. It is not like you have a different cable into your house. Now that actually is your only hope to change this get a different ISP that has a different path to the server.

Even if you wanted to there is no way to tell why there was a difference. You did not collect any data back when it was less and you can only see the current path.

The numbers you had before can not possibly be correct unless you have magic fiber running directly from your house to the data center. Those numbers are very close to the speed of light and even with a fiber it does not...
You can do nothing to affect the path your data takes. You have one option you send your traffic to the ISP over the cable they provide. You have no other options. It is not like you have a different cable into your house. Now that actually is your only hope to change this get a different ISP that has a different path to the server.

Even if you wanted to there is no way to tell why there was a difference. You did not collect any data back when it was less and you can only see the current path.

The numbers you had before can not possibly be correct unless you have magic fiber running directly from your house to the data center. Those numbers are very close to the speed of light and even with a fiber it does not actually run at full speed of light.

The server you were using must have been located someplace different.

In the end you can do nothing. You need to pretend you do not know this information. You only THINK you have a worse connection. Online games are balanced so that people that live closer to the data center do not have a advantage. Data is only sent to end clients at some maximum rate so even though some people could get more updates the game does not send them extra ones. So someone with 100ms connection will generally get the same number of data packets from the server as someone with 10ms.

Now if you have 200ms of difference that you can tell and no game can fix that.

Solution
The numbers you had before can not possibly be correct unless you have magic fiber running directly from your house to the data center. Those numbers are very close to the speed of light and even with a fiber it does not actually run at full speed of light.
I'm not so sure. In 30ms light can travel around 7000km through fiber optic cable, while its only around 3000km between Israel and Germany (in a direct line).** It seems possible that his ISP could have directed his connection down a fiber optic line in a mostly direct path that could potentially make that happen. And it's just as possible that the connection could be getting directed down a less direct path now, or maybe it's going through some congested server at one end or the other. The 60ms ping does sound more typical for a connection between those countries though.

As for what could be done about improving ping, probably not much. There are subscription services like WTFast that can be used to potentially improve high ping times by redirecting game traffic through more optimal routes across the internet, similar to a VPN, but with a focus on latency rather than privacy. However, from what I've heard about that service, its usually only likely to help much for really high ping times well above 100ms. I believe they have a free trial though, so it might not hurt to give it a try, though I wouldn't expect much of an improvement, if any at all.

**Though, if the latency is getting reported as round-trip time, that would be getting right up around the limits of that best-case scenario.

Last edited: