Question Fortnite textures not loading properly, Please Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
My game has for a long time had issues with loading, especially texture loading. I sometimes go into a game and I won't even see my character skin, have a harvesting tool or have any buildings load.

It looks something like this:
0156oyrh2cf21.jpg

I have a laptop that is in my opinion above average, an I hoped i had gotten rid of this problem when I bought a new one as my old laptop (with integrated graphics) did this too.
Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
RAM: 8.00GB DDR4
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050
Storage: SATA HDD 1TB (plus possible PCI-E Gen.3 SSD)

I have tried many solutions found online and some of them bring help for about one day before the issue persists.

I should get about 70-120 fps normally, but now I hardly get 60fps, freezes also happen for 3-7s. When having FPS capped at 60, game loads but usually after I've landed (10-20 seconds which causes a huge disadvantage). At one point my game worked perfectly with cap at 120fps, everything loaded before landing and fps around 70-120. Now the game is causing massive stress and annoyance because of this and makes me not wanna play.

At this point I'm not sure if it's Fortnite causing the issue or my HDD. My friend has a PC with lower specs and it works better than my higher end laptop.

My in game settings are:
3D res: 1080p
everything except view distance on low or disabled.
View distance far.
Multithread rendering on.
vsync and motionblur off.

I'm honestly looking for any solution. Please help :)

Couple of other things to try is type memory in search, memory diagnostic will pop up. Click on that and run the program. See if it comes up with any errors. I would try to uninstall completely all Nvidia drivers and then reload the drivers. Do not use geforce experience, set it up manually.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Couple of other things to try is type memory in search, memory diagnostic will pop up. Click on that and run the program. See if it comes up with any errors. I would try to uninstall completely all Nvidia drivers and then reload the drivers. Do not use geforce experience, set it up manually.
Every time I download a new driver I delete the last one I had. But I'll check that later on today.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
@Fix_that_Glitch so I did what the dude suggested in the video and I'm noticing high increase in fps, though texture loading is still kind of slow. But as I moved my cap upwards to 120 I can understand. Still wondering if I should maybe invest in an SSD, have my eye on one that costs 130€ and has almost the best ratings on it. Has about 500Gb on it.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
For game loading they all pretty much load games at the same speed. I would go for a 1tb ssd and have best of both worlds, performance and storage.
What would I do with a 1tb SSD when I already have one with barely 300MB used of the 1tb HDD I have. I could probably survive with a 250GB one too, but I might get the 500GB one so I can put it in to a PC I wanna build. Did you mean all SSD'S load the same or that all SSD and HDD load same cuz that's incorrect Dx

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
And how would I know that you don't use the space you have on your hd? I am saying you can get rid of your old hd, buy a 1 tb ssd and have the best of both worlds speed and storage. All ssd's load game files at about the same speed. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi8p7iiqbnjAhVZV80KHZtUBTsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8661/best-ssd-gaming-over-120-ssds-tested/index2.html&psig=AOvVaw0kBPPnm2zTYQUHSXGwXRMv&ust=1563362486049516
I do use my HDD space, I just don't have a need for 2 TB :) I am not sure if I can take out the stuff in my laptop. Besides I could just keep my system on the HDD and use the SSD for games.

so I did what the dude suggested in the video and I'm noticing high increase in fps, though texture loading is still kind of slow.
Another thing you might try is to turn the textures up to their maximum quality setting, and see what effect that has on performance. That might seem counter-intuitive, but it improved performance on a lower-powered laptop for me. What I think is happening is that the game otherwise needs to convert the textures from their full-resolution down to a lower resolution, increasing load on the processor when loading in those elements. Your mileage may vary on different hardware though.

I have had this loading issue in the past on that system, and it seemed to be more down to the CPU getting overwhelmed, though storage may have been a factor as well, as it sometimes appeared following an update. I haven't had it occur in a while though. If it is storage related, you could try uninstalling and re-downloading the game to see if that helps position the files more optimally on your drive, though depending on your Internet speed, that might potentially take some hours to complete.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
Another thing you might try is to turn the textures up to their maximum quality setting, and see what effect that has on performance. That might seem counter-intuitive, but it improved performance on a lower-powered laptop for me. What I think is happening is that the game otherwise needs to convert the textures from their full-resolution down to a lower resolution, increasing load on the processor when loading in those elements. Your mileage may vary on different hardware though.

I have had this loading issue in the past on that system, and it seemed to be more down to the CPU getting overwhelmed, though storage may have been a factor as well, as it sometimes appeared following an update. I haven't had it occur in a while though. If it is storage related, you could try uninstalling and re-downloading the game to see if that helps position the files more optimally on your drive, though depending on your Internet speed, that might potentially take some hours to complete.
Alright, I'll try changing the texture to see if that might help. I have re-installed the game before as it was one of the first things I tried, though made no difference. Having my computer on for an hour or two after starting seems to make the game work better.

msprandomacc

Reputable
Nov 16, 2017
I found out the reason for this texture issue and fps problems. My laptop was set on the lowest performance setting and when I put it to the highest everything started working.

Status
Not open for further replies.