forton 400 watt

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

i am thinking of buying a new psu and the forton source 400 watt in this link has been recommended to me. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=505
i just wondered if this is worth the purchase and will it be up to powering the new technology that will be coming out in the future like pci express and the new range of nv40 graphics cards, as i do not want to buy i psu just to upgrade it within half a year.

thanks

matt

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
The FSP400 is a great unit, and muchly underrated (wattage-wise). But definately keep in mind the power consumption of your current/future pieces. Why not consider the 450?

I guess it depends on whether or not you want to spend the extra buck on power. The 400W is definately fine for just about anything you throw at it today.

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

do you know any uk sites that you can buy a more powerful fortron because the site i linked before only sells up to a 400w fortron source.

thanks

matt

RobD

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_PSUs_148.html" target="_new">Try Overclockers.co.uk</A>

<A HREF="http://www.dabs.com" target="_new">http://www.dabs.com</A> has them too.

<font color=blue>"If Little Red Riding Hood shows up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch." - Sean Pertwee</font color=blue>

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

this may sound stupid but i cannot find any fortron source psu's on either of the sites you just gave me. are they under a different name or something???

thanks

matt

RobD

Champion
Fortron are sold under thr Sparkle label in the UK. The last 3 on that page on Overclockers I listed are all from the FSP group.

On Dabs, just search for Sparkle from the home page.

<font color=blue>"If Little Red Riding Hood shows up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch." - Sean Pertwee</font color=blue>

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

thanks for those links the 460w fortron looks pretty expenisve

i am thinking of getting the Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 460W ATX Power Supply (CA-004-EN) off overclockers instead as this has a fan speed adjustment and i really want a quiet pc so this looks like a good choice as it is cheaper than the fortron 460w.

do you know any other power supplies that have controllable fans because my current one is really loud and i want a silent system?

also do u know if the enermax will be up to running the new technology like amd64 and pci express and the nv40 graphics card or will i need a psu above 500 watt for that kind of system?

thanks

matt

RobD

Champion
The Enermax should do you fine, I can't see anything coming that's going to cause an enourmous jump in power consumption, so you should be OK. As long as you go for a good brand, which you are doing, you'll be fine. The problems occur when people plump for the cheap and cheerful generic unbranded shite.

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

will the fan speed control actually make any difference in noise as it only changes one fan speed. also is it correct that the forton 400w from http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=505 will have voltage rail adjustment?
if so which is a better feature to have rail adjusment or fan speed adjustment?
also 120mm fans are supposed to be quite will this mean that the fortron source 400w off microdirect will be just as quiet as the enermax anyway?

thanks

matt

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would go with Enermax. Enermax makes great PSU. I have two Enermax PSUs and they have been great for me. Last month I ordered Fortron PSU from Newegg for a friend's PC. I was surpries by the weight of the Fortron PSU since most high quality PSUs are pretty heavy. The Fortron PSU feels a lot lighter than my other PSU(Enermax, PC Power and Cooling, and Antec TruePower).
April issue of Computer Power User magazine's cover story is the review of three $5,000+ PC from Falcon Northwest, Maingear and Voodoo PC and all 3 manufacturer use Enermax PSU for their show-horses.

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
I would be surprised if Enermax was better because they're built with smaller transformers (for a given frequency) and lower-capacity semiconductors than Fortrons. It's possible newer Fortrons are lighter because they operate at a higher frequency (older models ran much lower than average), allowing for smaller transformers and the same power capacity.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was surprise by the fact that Falcon Northwest, Maingear and Voodoo PC all use Enermax PSU in their $5,000+ PC too. I think it good indictor that Enermax makes better PSU than Fortron. If I am the manufacturer I will not pay more for lower quality Component.