Fortron and Sparkle? Folken's choice.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
I hear Folken and other chaps constantly talking about Fortron and Sparkle power supplies. For the life of me, I am struggling to find them down here in Oz [I can find Sparkle Vid Cards]. Any Aussies no where to buy them in Brisbane, Aus?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Just to make sure you know if you do run into one, Sparkle and Fortron are the same PSU's. Different names but the same parts.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Crashman does more Fortron and sparkle supporting than me, lol. I'm an Antec man myself but they are much more expensive. Fortron and sparkle are a much better option if you are on a tight budget.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
And I am leaning toward ThermalTakes 680 watt beast, and currently have a 430 watt TruePower...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sparkle and Sparkle Power are two different companies. Sparkle Power is a brand of Fortron power supply. Aopen also uses Fortron cores for some of theirs, those with the FSP part numbers. You can probably find one of those.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Aopen sources their supplies from various manufacturers, those with FSP part numbers are Fortron Source. Sparkle Power is a brand name of Fortron Source, I don't know of any others.

Several manufacturers of high-end units, such as Zalman and PC Power&Cooling, have used FSP internals in some of their own units.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Crash, If Sparkle is a brand of Fortron, is it a premium grade or an economy grade.

Seems to me Fortran would have a reason for two divisions.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Sparkle Power and Fortron are now the same, and you'll see "SPI" (Sparkle Power Int.) printed on the transformers of many Fortrons.

These supplies are also sold under the brands Powerman, Power-Q, Hi-Q, and Trend.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's the same. SPI (Sparkle Power International) is the original retail brand, where Fortron Source is a manufacturer. So you never used to find Fortron Source in the retail market, except under the Sparkle Power brand. Fortron Source branded power supplies eventually found their way into the hobby industry through large buyers like Newegg, who behave like an OEM, and later got their retail boxes because of that.

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
If you are still looking BomberBill, you can get FSP psu's at any Leading Edge Computers store. If they whinge, tell them they can source them through "Anyware". A lot of other stores also use Anyware as a supplier. As a little extra help, if you tell me the model you want I will tell you the cost price to give you a little extra haggling power.

Good luck

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still don't trust Fortron power supplies worth <explitive never entered>. My company has been shipping them in our PCs for a few years now and we had to upgrade our specs because after about 6 months the chances of the Fortron supplies crapping out to supply under-spec were very high. They may be cheap, but they're ... um ... cheap. They survive burn-in tests very well and look phenominal as they can even put out way above spec when pressed, but they just don't last long under constant use. At least that's been my experience.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>Yes I'm insane, but it's a <font color=blue><i>good</i></font color=blue> kind of <font color=red>crazy</font color=red>. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 184K -> 200,000 miles or bust!