Forum Post Claims Z390 Chipset, Intel 8-Core CPUs Coming To Market Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
How about the leaked pricing.Just watch, as they release these so called 8 cores Ryzen2 will be shipping at 10nm or less with much better clock rate and almost identical IPC with much lower prices, Dr. Lisa Su is on it.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Intel indirectly announced an 8 core Cannonlake CPU over 2 years ago in a job posting. Why is there any speculation what process it will be? Cannonlake mobile chips were originally supposed to be released in q3 of last year, with desktop variants this year. The delay in 10nm forced Intel to add Kaby Lake (skylake refresh probably became coffee lake).

All the AMD people who think Intel is releasing high core CPU's now because of AMD, don't understand how CPU development works. It's not AMD that has Intel scrambling, it's Intel's inability to execute their own roadmap that has them making all these disjointed and nonsensical partial generation releases. Intel had Cannonlake on their roadmap back in 2013, and knew there would be an 8 core version no later than summer 2015 which makes it impossible for it to be a response to unknown at the time Ryzen and completely contradicts people saying we wouldn't have gotten higher core CPU's from Intel if not for AMD. If the plan had gone to schedule we'd already be on 8 core Cannonlake now with 6 core Coffee Lake being released q3 of last year.

toesis

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
wait till new motherboard chipsets come out monthly. thanks for making it even harder.
teh days of when i could upgrade a processor are over now because motherboards chipsets are changing way to fast. might as well solder the chip to the MB. oh yea Intel doesn't believe in solder reason behind deliding.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I'm now, firmly in wait and see mode for Ice Lake and whatever AMD produces to challenge it. If PCIe 4.0 is on neither, I may wait another round for whatever replaces the entire xLake naming convention.

Oh No!!! Turns out I forgot about Tiger Lake. SMH.

Yes Intel has executed terribly but they also did some of it on purpose. They have made a ton of money milking 14nm without any competition(I would have too in there shoes). Intel could easily do like they do on Skylake-X which uses there low core count(LLC) die for up to 10 cores ie disable cores. Intel can easily disable cores for better yields until there is competition which who is to say they wouldn't have especially on a new 10nm process node. In fact they may price things in a way that effectively does that for them, so volumes are very low on the 8 core consumer part. So I wouldn't be certain if we would see 8 core consumer parts so soon, or even the 6 core cores at reasonable prices that we have know, if Intel didn't have competition. Sure they already had the designs taped and those likely had up to 8 cores on the consumer Ice Lake chips.

Anyhow Intel Ice Lake on 10nm vs Ryzen 2 on 7nm should be fun to watch. Much needed competition is back. Now if Intel will just get going in the GPU race for real this time.

TOESIS,
I partially disagree. Shortly after Ryzen launched Intel radically altered their launch plans so much that MOTHERBOARD manufacturers had problems... Linus from Techtips went into detail on the issues at the time.

merlinq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012

It's not about the graphics card, it's because netflix @ 4k requires a 7th gen or newer CPU to support Microsoft's PlayReady 3.0 DRM & HDCP 2.2.
Even though, technically, the 10-series Nvidia cards should support PlayReady 3.0 and HDCP 2.2, it does not necessarily work, as they still check the CPU it seems.

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
It could have 254 cores - won't help me with gaming - give me some more f'n PCIe lanes. Why the hell have 6 slots on a motherboard when all the PCIe lanes can be used up by one video card? Stop being so goddamn stingy intel. If this were 2008 I could see you having a primitive CPU & chipset but for f's sake what year is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.