Forum Revert Back??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Depends.

If you want a Great Australian Dream home, you'll have to buy on the urban fringe where public services are 2nd grade.

If you are like me, you find a nice quiet suburb with overpriced interwibble connection.

randomizer

Champion
The only reason we live where we do is because we bought land 13 years ago and built a house on it. These days the more "inner" suburbs are expensive. I don't know the average house prices though, you'd have to do some research.

We have three networks. Our home is has the fastest setup of the three. DSL has only been available in our area for ummm, I want to say maybe four years. Currently this like tests at, 5059 kpbs download and upload is 592kpbs. Don't laugh, I ran a busy online store on dial up before Ebay ran us out of business in '99.

ACDC \,,/

randomizer

Champion
Are those speeds kbit/s or kByte/s?

ADSL is good because it doesn't require the additional rollout of new cables, even when new ADSL standards are introduced. Only the DSLAM and client modem needs upgrading. Current mainstream standards are capable of 24Mbit/s down and 1Mbit/s up (ADSL2+), or 3Mbit/s up if you have ADSL2+ Annex M. There's also DSL standards that can reach 100Mbps.

TheViper

Distinguished
All my Aussie friends tell me the ISP's in Oz are the absolute worst. One of them couldn't even download the ISP provided security tools because the bandwidth cap they place on all customers made it impossible to download. Brilliant.

Be bits I think. 5 bytes per sec download. Yeah, we can sign up with 'Uverse' now. Fiber optic lines have to be updated I think. I think they offer up to 24Mbit/s or close to that. Thing is we have DISH Network for digital satellite TV and Uverse is AT&T's package that includes fiber optic cable and interwibble service. I can run my home DISH digital cable TV at our two offices when we are there with slingbox. So, for now I'm stuck at 5 Mbit/s. The offices are only 3 mbit/s

randomizer

Champion
@Viper: My ISP offers the best deals as far as caps go, but our main telco still offers 12GB for $60/month on 8Mbps cable, and the same price and cap for 512k ADSL (I think). I get 120GB (spit 60/60 for different time periods in the day) for $50/month. 18 months ago I signed up for the same price with 18/7GB, after moving from the 12GB cable plan mentioned above.

Don't feel too bad, as even my "wonderful" Comcast 16 Mbit/s link will periodically run at Dialup speeds (yes, 56k) because apparently they design their network thinking this was a small town, however it is a small 'college' town, which makes quite a big difference.

randomizer

Champion
My current connection is theoretically up to 24Mbps, but on Ethernet will reach 15Mbps and 10Mbps on 802.11g wireless. Periodically it will drop to 1Mbps, usually at night. Such is the ways of DSL.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

What city do you live in?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

My DSL is much slower I only have 1Mbps. :cry: