Forum username amendment

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi Toms,

I regrettably used my real name as my username on Tom's - is there any way possible that an admin can change it? - it is purely for privacy concerns having recently been a victim of a 'troll' on here which has put me on the back foot. Its not for vanity or because i want a ''super handle' etc..

On a positive note its made me reconsider how much info i share on the internet.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could go the extra mile and change it so i don't loose 2 years worth of community work.

Best,

Jonny

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Unfortunately, we can't change your username. We transitioned to Stormpath, a single sign-on service, a few months back and I was told by the devs that name changes are no longer possible. Personally, I understand how inconvenient that is and I have been requesting them to implement "display names" for the forums that are independent of usernames. It is being considered, but I would not expect to see it happen in the near future.

If another user on the forums is trolling you or harassing you in any way, please feel free to report it and the moderators and the Community team will do everything we can to resolve it. It is always our goal to protect our community members and ensure a safe environment for everybody--but as it stands, we are not able to change your username. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
If i create a new account and verify it unconditionally can i have my badges allocated to my new account...? I'm proud of my badges and tom's clearly promotes the badge system to reward people who provide stewardship to the community. Tom's should support my historical support for the community based on my genuine request due to my privacy concerns.

Can a senior admin please PM me to discuss this further.

Failing that can i please have an address to write to.

Thank you for you time in reading this,

Jonny

titillating (kevin) is our 2nd in command for the community team so he is the guy you will want to deal with although he has already given you an answer on the issue of making a name change.

he may want to confirm this but i'm reasonably sure that transferring badges also would be something that is not possible as that is linked directly to your post history and is not a number that just gets added. this is why ba /badge history can change in realtime if best answers ever get changed. if you start a new account, its likely to be fresh from zero unfortunately.

the only real option would be a name change but its already been stated to us that this is not possible with the new login system and that he is currently trying to remedy this problem any way he can.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I'm happy to wait in the short term for the 'display name' to be implemented. I sincerely don't think its unseasonable to ask for a name change - albeit there's probably a complex database in the background. An 'Adhoc' levelling value could be implemented from date xx/yy/zzzz whereby the default value + answered posts are attributed.

There's a saying in any big organisation, 'trust the many, manage the few' - all i ask is manage my situation so it's mutually beneficial. I'm not asking for alot, something rudimental.