Discussion Forum's DOWN VOTE button feature. **Need your opinion**.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remeca

Reputable
I'm for it. I wouldn't feel bad for being down voted. I have a lot of knowledge about PC's, but I'm about 10 years out of date, so I refer to my old knowledge as well as google when trying to solve a current issue. If my knowledge of an issue is no longer correct, or the answer I find on google was wrong, I want my post to be down voted. A post below by any down voter explaining how I'm wrong is also helpful. I want the OP and any future readers to know that my post is wrong, and be able to read why following. As a down voter, I use it sparingly. Mostly reserved for blatantly incorrect and/or dangerous information, with an explanation about why.

Reactions: King_V
As someone who has been down voted a few times (not that often) I find that at first I get angry, then I accept it. If I've gotten something wrong I want to know and I want the knowledge to correct that. However, I have been down voted for an opinion before, and that doesn't feel great. Especially when that opinion is rather tame compared to most and usually reasonable, and I'm willing to change that opinion if I'm just being obtuse.

I think I've only down voted people who were COMPLETELY wrong or were rude, crude, or otherwise uncivilized. I don't use it often, but it is a nice resource to have.

Reactions: King_V and Remeca

Colif

Win 11 Master
EA deserves it though. They are famous for all the wrong reasons

since upvotes have power now - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/purpose-of-the-arrows.3473237/ - Downvotes are a necessary way to stop the wrong answer being marked as right. We tested it today and as soon as a post hits 5, system marks question as best answer. Downvoting the question doesn't unmark it.

You have no control over how someone else will react to your post, so just go for it. Share your knowledge

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
EA buying then rushing Westwood studios and then ending the series with a flop like C&C4, Kane deserved more 😩 C&C3 was pretty good though. Hopelessly wishing for a reboot one day.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
None other than Madonna, that Great Sage of Western Culture, put it best:

Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another.

and

If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you're always going to be disappointed.

And one's own sense of self worth and value is a central component of pleasure in the broadest sense.

Adults have to be able to accept that not everything they do will be met with approval and just move on with life.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Bit of a digression - I'm an old fogey, so I miss the days when they were a small, scrappy company that just worked on making good games.

And it was ECA, and this is their logo.

300px-Electronic_Arts_historical_logo_80s.svg.png

The way they work now, though, makes me more likely to start going "oh, yeah? Well, back in MY day..." and wish that someone higher up in the company still cared about product quality, customer satisfaction, and reputation as much as they did the bottom line.

They'll still make good games, and they'll still make money. They'll just never be able to buy back the good will they used to have.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

since upvotes have power now - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/purpose-of-the-arrows.3473237/ - Downvotes are a necessary way to stop the wrong answer being marked as right. We tested it today and as soon as a post hits 5, system marks question as best answer. Downvoting the question doesn't unmark it.

You have no control over how someone else will react to your post, so just go for it. Share your knowledge

Keep in mind if another post in a thread receives MORE upvotes, that one will switch to become the new Best Answer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
By the way, I need to ask one question. It's totally OFF TOPIC though........But I will ask it here instead. Can we post MEMES here over at Tom's Hardware ? I mean the funny/decent ones, like shown below, not bad ones ?

Try not to, If its totally relevant to the post, sure. Or in the off topic forums where we are more lenient. But you shouldn't be cluttering up threads with them. I've deleted them from this one since they are off topic.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I got a better question: Can anyone think of a reason why you can't downvote yourself?

Say you answer a thread and 4 or so people upvote your reply but you don't think you deserve the solution. why can't you downvote yourself?

I asked this in discord and one of the mods said he would follow me around and downvote everything I say... such a great friend :)

I wasn't looking for volunteers, just curious.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, if things are to be consistent, it should be just as big a "no no" to down vote one's own answer as it would be to up vote it.

But, that's irrelevant, as the forum software doesn't allow you to do it anyway (at least not for we mere mortals). If I go to one of my own posts and hover my mouse pointer over either the up or down arrow I am informed I do not have permission to do this.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I got a better question: Can anyone think of a reason why you can't downvote yourself?

Say you answer a thread and 4 or so people upvote your reply but you don't think you deserve the solution. why can't you downvote yourself?

I asked this in discord and one of the mods said he would follow me around and downvote everything I say... such a great friend :)

I wasn't looking for volunteers, just curious.
I think one would just have to post an update as to why you think your solution might be wrong, or not the best, and hope that interested readers would be most likely to read through past the selected solution to get more information.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
interested readers would be most likely to read through past the selected solution to get more information.

That, right there! I have never trusted a "best answer" to definitely be the best answer. People mark all kinds of things as "best answer" that, if you continue reading, definitely isn't.

Reading all the way through any technical topic is an essential skill any online forum user needs to develop.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That, right there! I have never trusted a "best answer" to definitely be the best answer. People mark all kinds of things as "best answer" that, if you continue reading, definitely isn't.

Reading all the way through any technical topic is an essential skill any online forum user needs to develop.

And this is why voting is so important especially on this new software.

I agree that you should definitely always read through the thread, however if people used the voting feature more often as a user you'd see a good answer have a lot of upvotes (and an automatic BA have at leats 5), meaning at least 5 people looked at it and agreed it was correct. So if you were to skim the thread you'd still be able to parse that the BA is good.

Now of course you are assuming the knowledge level of the voters and all that, but it works on a general premise.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Now of course you are assuming the knowledge level of the voters and all that, but it works on a general premise.

And that assumption is not one I'm willing to make. In this age of social media the up/down vote and like/dislike are muddled, to say the least.

This is one of those situations where one of my favorite quotations (for which I cannot find the original source for attribution) applies:

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is.

But things are what they are. I'll continue my own practice of reading through topics in their entirety just because I don't trust up/down, like/dislike, or best answer to be "the correct opinion."

Everyone's got to find their own way through the weeds, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.