Forward-backwards compatability with BTX/ATX

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I'm about to build a new system, and there's one thing that worries me; the BTX form factor.

My problem is that I was planning to use a Lian-Li V1100, a quite costy case at over $300 where I live, I am willing to spend that kind of money, but with the emergence of the btx form-factor I’m afraid it’ll be obsolete in a few years, and I would like to use it for at least my next two systems. How soon do you think BTX will take over, and how long will it be before you can’t get ATX motherboards anymore?

I have thought about solving the problem by using my current case (Chieftec Dragon midi-tower) for my next system until Lian-Li makes a BTX-case, and then switch. I want a new case as well, but I could wait if I have to. My first worry with that solution is when I can expect that case to be available, and my second is whether a BTX-case will be backwards compatible with an ATX-motherboard – anyone know anything about that?

As far as I can see BTX makes sense, having a large air-intake just beside the CPU seem like a good solution, and it looks to me like the standard generally gets more control over the air-currents in the case.
I haven’t seen any tests but Anandtechs (http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2276&p=14) and that one only covers mini-BTX.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTX is DYING. I'm not sure if OEM players will breath new life into it, but BTX is the last thing I'd be concerned with. The whole point of BTX was to help the Prescott deal with heat, but Intel is killing the Prescott.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Hmm, are you sure about that? As far as I can see BTX is a sensible step, Prescott or no Prescott, optimising airstreams and cooling doesn’t stop making sense in my book, even if you don’t have a processor quite as hot as the Prescott. As far as I can see BTX makes cooling more efficient and thereby quieter, I don’t understand how anyone but the case-manufactures (who have to redesign) can be against that…

When that’s said there’s a point that things have been strangely quiet about BTX, as far as I know Intel have only released a test-bundle for mini-BTX and apart from that nothing has happened at all. Still, might we just be seeing a slow transition here, as far as I have heard ATX took some time catching on as well…

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Here is an interesting link about building a PC with a BTX mobo.<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1727944,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1727944,00.asp</A>

BTW. I checked Newegg.com and couldnt find a BTX motherboard to buy.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Hmm, it says about the same as the anandtech article; that btx makes sense, at least in the micro-btx form that's tested here. The way the thermal module lines up with the gfx-card (that is when the gfx-card will fit) looks pretty sweet, though as far as I have understood it's only the desktop-models working with risers, I'd like to have seen a more unified gfx-cpu cooling scheme.

It seems very odd to me that it's been so quiet about btx, frankly I don't understand all the people criticising it, nor that it hasn't caught on among the enthusiasts yet.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
There is no demand for btx so companies are not going to waste money implementing it. A change over like that will not be cheap so there is no way it will happen if companies aren't going to make major bucks off it.
It is an interesting idea but even if it was realeased on a large scale I wouldn't buy it. With liquid cooling that new airflow doesn't really do anything for ya so it really isn't worth the cost of changing form factors. Liquid cooling is slowly becoming the norm so new airflow ideas aren't really needed.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>