[SOLVED] Forwarding ports for gaming

Apr 30, 2020
Hi everybody,
I tried to forward the port of my router (it's an ISP router) cause I'd like to play FiFA 20 online(on a PS4) but my connection is usually rubbish, so I tried to forward all the ports they suggest to open.
I checked the ports with some tools I found online but they seem to be still closed.
How can I know if the port are forwarded?
I'm pretty sure I'v hie made everything right when I've done that, but when I run a pathping it still says that I have packets loss and ping over 70ms, so I'm thinking it may have something to do with my route's port.
Thank you very much for any help.

Solution
It may not be a port forwarding issue. You will not get high ping and packet loss because of ports. Generally if you do not have ports open and a game need them some function does not work. This is much more common for peer to peer games where there is no central server.

The problem with a testing tool is that the program must actually be running on the port for it to respond. Even then a game does not actually use all the ports they say all the time. Certain ones are used for some functions. You likely would have to have the game active when you scan.

I would try the DMZ option in your router. These tend to be simpler to configure than lists of ports but it is not a long term solution because it leave the machine open...
Apr 30, 2020
Depending on your setup, there may be several levels of "blocks" in the network. Is this an all in one router / modem? When you entered the ports to forward, did you chose both TCP and UDP protocols to forward on each port?

It may not be a port forwarding issue. You will not get high ping and packet loss because of ports. Generally if you do not have ports open and a game need them some function does not work. This is much more common for peer to peer games where there is no central server.

The problem with a testing tool is that the program must actually be running on the port for it to respond. Even then a game does not actually use all the ports they say all the time. Certain ones are used for some functions. You likely would have to have the game active when you scan.

I would try the DMZ option in your router. These tend to be simpler to configure than lists of ports but it is not a long term solution because it leave the machine open to attack.

Another thing to check is that you have a public IP address. Check the ip that is assigned to your wan port. Almost all routers have this ability but exactly where it is varies a lot so you will have to look around. You can either lookup what a public IP is or you can see if the ip assigned to your wan port is the same as the ip you see in whatsmyip and the port scanner sites. If these IP are different it is highly likely you do not have a public IP.

For Fifa since it is a large number of players it is generally hosted on a central server. Since many people play it over VPN where you can never port forward the game likely does not really need any port forwarding.

Solution