Forwarding

matt

I want to setup something where I can have a user type in http://staffnet when they are at an internal workstation and it forwards to an external website such as http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet. Where and how would I set this up? I am guessing DNS but I don't know how. Thanks!

-Matt

Set up a host record, in your DNS forward zone, called staffnet and point it
at the public IP address of the external website.

Matt wrote:
> I want to setup something where I can have a user type in
> http://staffnet when they are at an internal workstation and it
> forwards to an external website such as
> http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet. Where and how would I set this
> up? I am guessing DNS but I don't know how. Thanks!
>
> -Matt

matt

But I need it to point to the subdirectory.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Set up a host record, in your DNS forward zone, called staffnet and point it
> at the public IP address of the external website.
>
> Matt wrote:
> > I want to setup something where I can have a user type in
> > http://staffnet when they are at an internal workstation and it
> > forwards to an external website such as
> > http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet. Where and how would I set this
> > up? I am guessing DNS but I don't know how. Thanks!
> >
> > -Matt

In news:C43D87E1-C03D-433C-AEAF-24F5A74298AC@microsoft.com,
Matt <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> But I need it to point to the subdirectory.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Set up a host record, in your DNS forward zone, called
>> staffnet and point it at the public IP address of the
>> external website.
>>
>> Matt wrote:
>>> I want to setup something where I can have a user type
>>> in http://staffnet when they are at an internal
>>> workstation and it forwards to an external website such
>>> as http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet. Where and how
>>> would I set this up? I am guessing DNS but I don't
>>> know how. Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Matt

This would have to be done on the web server.
If you are using IIS it is easy. Use the Internet services console, create a
new website give it a host header of staffnet (or what ever you choose) then
in the home directory point it to the directory that has the staffnet
resouces.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

That isn't a DNS function. The web designer would need to put this in their
page coding.

Matt wrote:
> But I need it to point to the subdirectory.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Set up a host record, in your DNS forward zone, called staffnet and
>> point it at the public IP address of the external website.
>>
>> Matt wrote:
>>> I want to setup something where I can have a user type in
>>> http://staffnet when they are at an internal workstation and it
>>> forwards to an external website such as
>>> http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet. Where and how would I set this
>>> up? I am guessing DNS but I don't know how. Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Matt

.....yeah, or that. <g>
I didn't mention that because it isn't clear that the webserver is a)
running IIS or b) is under the OP's control, given that it's externally
hosted.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
<snip>
> This would have to be done on the web server.
> If you are using IIS it is easy. Use the Internet services console,
> create a new website give it a host header of staffnet (or what ever
> you choose) then in the home directory point it to the directory that
> has the staffnet resouces.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================

In news:uA4WHzbaEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted a
question
Then Kevin replied below:
> ....yeah, or that. <g>
> I didn't mention that because it isn't clear that the
> webserver is a) running IIS or b) is under the OP's
> control, given that it's externally hosted.

I thought I'd just throw that in, if the OP really wants to he could still
use IIS to create the staffnet website, then on the Home Directory tab use
"redirection to a URL" and enter http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
> In news:uA4WHzbaEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> ....yeah, or that. <g>
>> I didn't mention that because it isn't clear that the
>> webserver is a) running IIS or b) is under the OP's
>> control, given that it's externally hosted.
>
> I thought I'd just throw that in, if the OP really wants to he could
> still use IIS to create the staffnet website, then on the Home
> Directory tab use "redirection to a URL" and enter
> http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet

Yeah, or that, smarty. I'll go stand in the corner wearing my pointy dunce
cap again! ;-)

In news:OQKZ97caEHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted a
question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
>> In news:uA4WHzbaEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com>
>> posted a question
>> Then Kevin replied below:
>>> ....yeah, or that. <g>
>>> I didn't mention that because it isn't clear that the
>>> webserver is a) running IIS or b) is under the OP's
>>> control, given that it's externally hosted.
>>
>> I thought I'd just throw that in, if the OP really wants
>> to he could still use IIS to create the staffnet
>> website, then on the Home Directory tab use "redirection
>> to a URL" and enter http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet
>
> Yeah, or that, smarty. I'll go stand in the corner
> wearing my pointy dunce cap again! ;-)

Don't do that, I'd miss out on your interesting viewpoints. :)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
> In news:OQKZ97caEHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
>>> In news:uA4WHzbaEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com>
>>> posted a question
>>> Then Kevin replied below:
>>>
>>> I thought I'd just throw that in, if the OP really wants
>>> to he could still use IIS to create the staffnet
>>> website, then on the Home Directory tab use "redirection
>>> to a URL" and enter http://www.mycompany.com/staffnet
>>
>> Yeah, or that, smarty. I'll go stand in the corner
>> wearing my pointy dunce cap again! ;-)
>
> Don't do that, I'd miss out on your interesting viewpoints. :)

"Interesting" is sorta like "unusual" - hard to know how to read it!!! :)

In news:O5cQOHgaEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted a
question
Then Kevin replied below:
> "Interesting" is sorta like "unusual" - hard to know how
> to read it!!! :)

ROFL

Maybe it is because you're an interesting person, is that unusual? May be.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:OWUq%23kgaEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
offered my suggestions below:
<snip>

You guys are a riot!
:)

Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:OWUq%23kgaEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help
> and I offered my suggestions below:
> <snip>
>
> You guys are a riot!
> :)

Well, I try to amuse as well as edify. The former is more common than the
latter. ;-)

> Ace

In news:OsCaHinaEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> asked for help
and I offered my suggestions below:
>> You guys are a riot!
>> :)
>>
> Well, I try to amuse as well as edify. The former is more common than
> the latter. ;-)

I like the former!
:)

Ace