[SOLVED] Forza horizon 4 lag

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
Hello, I love racing games so I thought let's try out Forza Horizon 4. I looked up the minimum and recommended requirements and my pc was better than the minimum, So I downloaded the demo to try out the game. But when I played it the game lagged like crazy on the recommended (auto) settings. So I turned them all the way down to very low and it still lagged. Does anyone know what the problem is? or does anyone have a sollution?

Also on Game-Debate it says that I can easily run the game at medium settings.

SPECS:
CPU: i7-7700HQ
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
RAM: 1x 8 GB
SSD: 120 GB
HDD: 1 TB

Solution
So I tried to look at the power modes but both were on performance. I downloaded the newest drivers, but it still didn’t change.
Maybe you’re right and it’s the RAM... but I don’t immediately want to buy new RAM... only when I know for sure that that’s causing the issue. Is there a way to check if that’s the problem?
And if I have to buy new RAM it has to be the same MHz right? So how do I find the same RAM stick that’s now in my laptop?

its highly unlike thats its a temperature issue but you can use msi afterburner to check temps while in game, how long have you used this laptop? did it have these problems before? if its brand new it could be that you are using your iGPU instead of the dedicated GPU, now i dont know how to...

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
1 stick of ram doesnt help, you could buy a kit of 2x4gb sodimms or 2x8gb sodimms that work on your laptop.

also it could also be overheating issue which are common for laptops so try to play on a cooling pad or point a fan at the gpu/cpu area (did this when the only thing i can game on was a laptop few years ago).

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
1 stick of ram doesnt help, you could buy a kit of 2x4gb sodimms or 2x8gb sodimms that work on your laptop.

also it could also be overheating issue which are common for laptops so try to play on a cooling pad or point a fan at the gpu/cpu area (did this when the only thing i can game on was a laptop few years ago).
How do you know that I have a laptop?? Didn’t even mention that.

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019

But I still find it weird... this dude for example...
View: https://youtu.be/HiXD27SLWaU
... this build is worse than mine and it still performs better... i cant even run the game on very low and this dude plays it easily on high...

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
it could be a couple of things.

the single stick of ram limiting bandwidth.

you are on powersaver mode for both nvidia and pc power settings. might as well change that to balanced or high performance if thats the case.

or overheating issue.

finally try to ge the latest available drivers for your laptop and graphics card. for graphic drivers i suggest using DDU to remove the old installed nvidia driver or download gforce experience and do a download from there since it somehow cleans up the old installed drivers.

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
it could be a couple of things.

the single stick of ram limiting bandwidth.

you are on powersaver mode for both nvidia and pc power settings. might as well change that to balanced or high performance if thats the case.

or overheating issue.

finally try to ge the latest available drivers for your laptop and graphics card. for graphic drivers i suggest using DDU to remove the old installed nvidia driver or download gforce experience and do a download from there since it somehow cleans up the old installed drivers.
Ok... thx i will try tomorrow and hopefully it will work. I will keep u updated!

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
So I tried to look at the power modes but both were on performance. I downloaded the newest drivers, but it still didn’t change.
Maybe you’re right and it’s the RAM... but I don’t immediately want to buy new RAM... only when I know for sure that that’s causing the issue. Is there a way to check if that’s the problem?
And if I have to buy new RAM it has to be the same MHz right? So how do I find the same RAM stick that’s now in my laptop?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

its highly unlike thats its a temperature issue but you can use msi afterburner to check temps while in game, how long have you used this laptop? did it have these problems before? if its brand new it could be that you are using your iGPU instead of the dedicated GPU, now i dont know how to check that but this could also be the case.

for the ram id just advise you to buy a kit, meaning 2x4gb or 2x8gb, mix matching ram isnt really great, it could work but its a risk and you might end up having 2 sticks of useless ram. for the speed you can check a spec sheet of your laptop online but id assume 2133mhz to 3000mhz ram would be ok.

Solution

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
its highly unlike thats its a temperature issue but you can use msi afterburner to check temps while in game, how long have you used this laptop? did it have these problems before? if its brand new it could be that you are using your iGPU instead of the dedicated GPU, now i dont know how to check that but this could also be the case.

for the ram id just advise you to buy a kit, meaning 2x4gb or 2x8gb, mix matching ram isnt really great, it could work but its a risk and you might end up having 2 sticks of useless ram. for the speed you can check a spec sheet of your laptop online but id assume 2133mhz to 3000mhz ram would be ok.

If I buy new RAM and just use the new kit instead of the old RAM... does the new kit have to match the speed of the old one. Because the old one is out and I won't use it anymore. So does the speed need to match, or doesn't that matter....

I'm going to check the temps in FH4 now with MSI Afterburner.... I'll keep u updated.. oh and btw... can't I just use MSI Kombuster to check the temps and stuff??

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
If I buy new RAM and just use the new kit instead of the old RAM... does the new kit have to match the speed of the old one. Because the old one is out and I won't use it anymore. So does the speed need to match, or doesn't that matter....

I'm going to check the temps in FH4 now with MSI Afterburner.... I'll keep u updated.. oh and btw... can't I just use MSI Kombuster to check the temps and stuff??

for the memory speed it can either be the same or faster, as long as its DDR4 Sodimms. looking online your RAM should be 2400mhz, you can either match it by buying 2x8gb 2400mhz sodimms or get a faster one like 3000mhz but the performance boost in games wont be much.

also its a laptop i really wouldnt want to stress test it, just play games and test it out.

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
Can you explain the lag? Or even better record a bit and upload to youtube?
Forza has an in build performance destroyer very much like gta v that can cause stutter missing textures or even the AI freezing.
It's just an unplayeble kind of lag..... it's imposible to play the game.... stutters... lag spikes... you name it..

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019

I tried playing Forza Horizon 3 and even that was lagging... it was more playeble tho... but the lag is insane.... GPU temp while playing FH3 was 83 *C..
GPU clock: 1809 MHz
Mem clock: 3504 MHz
Voltage: 0V
GPU temp: 83 *C

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
83c GPU temp for a laptop is ok, could be better but i can see that your clocks are not downclocking so its probably gonna be the 1 stick ram issue or its some underlying issue probably software related.

how about your CPU clock speeds?

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
83c GPU temp for a laptop is ok, could be better but i can see that your clocks are not downclocking so its probably gonna be the 1 stick ram issue or its some underlying issue probably software related.

how about your CPU clock speeds?
How do I check my CPU clockspeed??

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
MSI afterburner would also have that feature. you can use it to show both GPU and CPU temps and Clock speeds at any given time.

for the CPU it should hit from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz
(dont know how core dependent Forza or any games you play are)

3.4Ghz is when all 4 cores are used up
3.6Ghz when only 2 cores are utilized.
3.8Ghz if only a single core is utilized.

on idle you should see 2.8Ghz or lower (no gaming or any form of use)

if you see that you are lower than 2.8Ghz while in game it could be a CPU issue.

IndraaBD

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
MSI afterburner would also have that feature. you can use it to show both GPU and CPU temps and Clock speeds at any given time.

for the CPU it should hit from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz
(dont know how core dependent Forza or any games you play are)

3.4Ghz is when all 4 cores are used up
3.6Ghz when only 2 cores are utilized.
3.8Ghz if only a single core is utilized.

on idle you should see 2.8Ghz or lower (no gaming or any form of use)

if you see that you are lower than 2.8Ghz while in game it could be a CPU issue.
I can't find the option for my CPU measurements in MSI Afterburner

ozm8ey

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Weird thing is I get lags like crazy on forza motorsport 7 which is a year older and has less requirements but forza horizon 4 runs perfectly at 60 fps for me with almost everything maxed out at 1080p. You should be able to run it fine tbh. My gpu is only a gtx 970

TRENDING THREADS