Found a cheap custom GeForce GTX650 on ebay. Need confirmation that it'll work properly and smoothly for mid-range gaming.

kiwiheadkev

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Here are the specifications:

Model - GeForceGTX650
Memory Size - 2 GB
Applicable Type - Desktops
Core Code - GK106
Manufacturing Process - 28nm
Core Frequency - 980mHz
Memory Type - Support DDR3
Memory Capacity - 2048MB
Memory Interface - 384bit
Memory Frequency - 6008mHz
Memory Bandwidth - 144.2GB / S
Directx Version - Directx 11
Graphics Interface - PCI Express 3.0 x 16
Weight - 516 g

The main thing that caught my eye was that the memory bus/interface is quite big, but then again the memory type is DDR3 and not DDR5. Would this even itself out or would i be better off with a 192-bit version of the card WITH DDR5? Every thing else looks suburb, but i just need to be sure. THANKS!

I currently have a crappy Intel core 2 duo E6600, but I'm planning to swap it out for an AMD FX-6300. I have the 32-bit version of windows vista and 4 gb of RAM. I also have a 500 watt psu.

Here's the link to the ebay page incase anyone needs it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360936775230?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

kiwiheadkev

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

How is it garbage? The specs look good. And the guy already sold like 130 of them

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Trust us, they are not genuine graphics cards. They are cards that are supposed to look like GTX650s, and even trick the GPU-Z software into thinking they are 650s, but trust me they are not.

Ways to defect a fake:

1. The item is usually listed on eBay, to be shipped without the manufacturers packaging (BIG red flag)

2. The cooling system looks nothing like anything that can be found on a legitimate PC Part website (e.g. newegg, not amazon though as people can list things on amazon similar to how they can on ebay).

3. The card is coming from China, I'm not saying all products or GPUs from China are fake, but if either 1. or 2. apply, AND the card is coming from china, then simply stay away

EDIT: As above, if you cannot find the card by simply searching for the specs shown on the eBay post, then it's not a genuine nVidia card, it is fake.

EDIT2: Also notice that the listing doesn't once mention the name nvidia, just GeForce GTX650 (Which is copyrighted btw). They try and get around eBays rules by not stating that the card is an nvidia card, yet they are using a copyrighted name.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

To be fair he did raise a valid point, a LOT of people have bought this card and probably used it, thinking it was a good GPU, not realising the card is fake and, therefore, left positive feedback. He (unknowingly) raised the biggest flaw in eBay's feedback system.

^This is true. 2 years ago I would have been down to buy said card, but almost 2 years working on PCs has given me the knowledge to see that is a fake card just by looking at it. Most people who have knowledge on PCs dont buy from ebay, so there is no feedback from us. Mainly the feedback is from users who stick it in their rig and dont ask questions.

The reason why its selling is because the majority of people, even people who use this forum, have absolutely no clue what is in their PC, or even whats good. Thats why this forums exists, to educate people about PC hardware. Took all of 3 seconds for me to feel like it is not on the up and up.

gear999

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
I've seen that one before on eBay too. It's not even from a GPU manufacturer (ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.) Seems definitely fake to me. If you want to buy a GPU, buy it from Newegg, NCIX, or other confirmed and reputable retailer.

kiwiheadkev

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Thank you guys so much. You've all been really helpful. However, I'm considering buying this Radeon HD 7770 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201114079081?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) he didn't post a lot of info, but he did send me a few pics. These pictures are the same card as the stock photo and it comes in original packaging.
$_0.JPG

$_0.JPG
$_0.JPG

I know i shouldn't be looking for cards on ebay but I'm sorta tight on money. Thanks guys.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Ask him what the card was previously used for and how long it was used for, if he says mining, stay way. I'm sure he won't with it being a 7770, and the preferred cards for mining being the r9 280/280x/290/290x, but still it's worth asking. Also ask whether it has DDR3 or GDDR5 RAM

kiwiheadkev

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

The guy said that it was used to "run an hd monitor off a gaming pc" and for the ram he said, "The 1gb VRAM is what came installed the card - please read the manufacturers specification for exact details. 1GB GDDR5 dedicated ram manufacturer installed."

gear999

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014