Question Found a coolermaster case with little rusty spots, worth fixing?

gastontt

Honorable
Oct 19, 2016
Hello

I just found a cooler master haf case but it had little rusty spots here and there (many more in the fan entrance).

I have used sandpaper on those spots (now I can see the bare metal color) . I've bought an anti rust grey colored paint , I was was going to paint those parts.

Is it worth it? I don't want to risk damaging my pc by using this case.

Lutfij

Titan
You can upload pictures onto Imgur or image hosting sites then parse the links over onto this thread so we can take a look. If you want to get into modding, you can get some paint stripper and rust remover then some primer and then paint. You will need a good gas mask for your painting and some high grit wet sand paper to help etch the surface before and after the primer.

The reason I mention using rust remover is due to the fact that if you don't completely remove rust off the panel and there are some traces, they will come back again, to haunt you. So prep the surfaces from the ground up and then paint them to the color of choice. People think a quick and dirty job with a sheet of sandpaper, a little bit of elbow grease and a can of spray paint will do the trick, but in the long run you end up wishing you did it right when you had the case unpopulated.

I don't want to risk damaging my pc by using this case.
It won't damage your innards per se, only the aesthetics of the build. Rust on a case is harmless unless the rust flakes off and enters the contacts of slots or the connectors.

gastontt

Honorable
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some pictures (I've already remove some rusty parts)

5HxyTWK.jpeg

zPwMNTI.jpg

TolQbV5.jpg

I think I will use some sandpaper and paint remover to completely remove the paint and rust, then apply two layers of protective anti rust coating paint and finally some white spray paint.

TRENDING THREADS