[SOLVED] Found an Asus1070ti 8gb gddr5 on ebay and its too good to be true

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
The seller says its pre owned and its for only 156 Usd
There are 51 reviews and the product has 5 stars,should i buy it?
Idk but i tried to paste the link here but the link always ends up with error 404
Or is it a scam?
There are some rumors that some sellera on ebay use fake reviews to attract people

Solution
Linus Tech Tips recently did a video testing the idea that mining GPUs loose performance, and they found any difference to be negligible, even up to 3/4 years of mining use. Granted, this was with cards that were not overheated, and cleaned to prevent dust buildup, which not all miners do.

There has always been a stigma with buying used mining cards. Not something that is easily overturned. However, I applaud that person for being completely up-front. Many less scrupulous sellers would just say something like lightly used or fully working. Of course, I am making the assumption the picture was actually theirs and they have the cards to sell.

Wear and tear on the fans would be the main concern, though replacements aren't...
Suspiciously cheap used GPUs are often just that, suspiciously cheap. Unless there is a complete warranty or return from Ebay, which there might not be, I would probably avoid it. Ebay also has a lot of areas for descriptions, so make sure to read everything to see if they mention non-functioning, has a problem, anything. Some sellers try to hide information like that, but they sometimes do put it in there, so you cant claim they didnt say it was broken.

Reactions: SawmMawia
One listing actually showed a picture of a mining rig with a whole row of 1070Ti. Quite bold.
Linus Tech Tips recently did a video testing the idea that mining GPUs loose performance, and they found any difference to be negligible, even up to 3/4 years of mining use. Granted, this was with cards that were not overheated, and cleaned to prevent dust buildup, which not all miners do.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

There has always been a stigma with buying used mining cards. Not something that is easily overturned. However, I applaud that person for being completely up-front. Many less scrupulous sellers would just say something like lightly used or fully working. Of course, I am making the assumption the picture was actually theirs and they have the cards to sell.

Wear and tear on the fans would be the main concern, though replacements aren't impossible. I would expect little degradation on the PCB components themselves, particularly your more savvy miner who reduces power usage to the minimum. But you never know, all it takes is one important component to pop.

Haven't lost a GPU yet, and I have cards going back to 1993. And 'integrated' graphics going back to 1984.

I could be convinced to buy a used mining GPU, but not at the moment. Still too pricey, for the money, I would rather buy new for the mental comfort. Though I am not in desperate need, so I am just lazily trying the Newegg shuffle when it is reasonable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS