Four monitors on AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

wevie13

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I am trying to run four monitors on my AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series but I can't get more than three to display.

I have:
2 mini display ports
2 DVI
1 HDMI

According to the pamphlet that came with the card, I should be able to do it by using both minis and the HDMI and a DVI but I can't get a fourth to display. Both mini display port adapters are for certain active. one is to HDMI which I have had and been using for a while and the other is to DVI which I just got and in the XFX brand and works also when running only three.

Am I missing something or reading something wrong?

I also read somewhere that I may be able to hook one up to the onboard graphics. Is this possible?

Thanks!

terroralpha

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
you should be able to get the onboard GPU working in conjunction with the discreet GPU. i've done it before many times. plugging in a discrete GPU causes the onboard graphics to be disabled. re enable them and make sure the driver is installed. then just plug in the monitor.

wevie13

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

So I guess I need to go into the BIOS to do this?

terroralpha

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

you may have to, but you should be able to do it form the device managed unless your motherboard turns off the on board GPU at the firmware level when it detects discrete graphics, in which case your OS won't even see it.

wevie13

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I went into the BIOS and enabled it but it's still not working. I don't see it in the device manager. If what you say is true, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

wevie13

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Well I finally got it to work although I am not quite sure why it decided to work. I mostly just started swapping the monitors around to different ports and I suppose I found the correct ports that made each one happy.