Four Overclocked GeForce GTX 580 Cards, Rounded Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
What I don't understand is why you did not use the MSI lighting Extreme with an 832 core clock it would be a better contender in your shoot out here than the twin razor since your using the Zotac 3GB version. Does not really make since when you think of overclocked GTX 580 to leave that card out.

G

more memory is very handy for gpu based renderer like Mentalray's iray of Chaos group vray RT and it may be better chose over many nvidia quadro card.

verbalizer

Distinguished
+2 for the ASUS DC cards, they should have had one of those models in the line-up.
though there is a triple slot 580 from ASUS that should also be included.
with all the talk on how the 590 is the 'flagship' card or the 'meat and potatoes',
it's the 580 that really brings home the bacon..

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
[citation][nom]TyphX[/nom]what do they do with the sample cards after this?[/citation]
Giv'em to little old lady's for the coming winter !

Nice article. Maybe you'll get to play with PNY's new GTX 580 soon. Apparently they copied the corsair H50 idea and applied it to a GTX 580. Yep, a closed loop water-cooling setup on a 580. They boast some impressive overclocks. I wouldn't know where to mount the damned thing as I already have a H50. They also have another model that includes a block for the CPU as well. I'd hate to cool a cpu and a gpu with a single 120mm radiator, but that's what they offer. :S

[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]zotac looks wicked as always. i'll buy that for the looks alone, the performance/price balance makes it a hell lot sweeter[/citation]

I wish Asus ROG 580 wasn't 3 slots =/

With a 3 slot video card, does that pretty much rule out 3-way sli?

drencamren

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
But clearly, the MSI N580GTX was the strongest card in this round up. Gigabyte's Ultra Durable VGA GTX 580 did well in all the tests.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]Conclusion: A high-end overclocked gpu is a waste of money.[/citation]

Thats true to an extent, but having a better/quieter cooling solution and better build quality (MSI's military class components for example) make the extra money worth it. I have a gigabyte GTX 460 and the cooler on it is almost inaudible, this alone makes it worth the extra $10-20 dollars I spent on it.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
40 watt idle is really surprising to see. The computers nowadays have done great to cut wasted computing power when not needed. It's like the stop/start system on cars, excpet it's implemented today and not 50 years lagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.