Question Four Short Beeps

Nov 30, 2020
I'm not sure what's going on. I thought maybe it was a RAM issue since I noticed it after I installed new RAM. So I reinstalled each RAM stick, ensuring each placed correctly. After booting back up I still hear 4 short beeps by the normal 1 beep. I did also install a new GPU not too long ago (GTX 3060 TI), however, I can't remember if I heard extra beeping when I did that.

After some searching, I found this info for my motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro)
"4 short beeps Real Time Clock malfunction.
This is a tricky one, for most people it helps to reseat both the CMOS Battery and the graphics card.
"

When I reseated my RAM I also reseated the GPU. Will reseating the CMOS battery affect anything?

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
It will reset your bios. I thought the clock was a Windows function but apparently not. Anyway, your issue is likely a dead cmos battery, I found this:

This error is almost always caused by a problematic CMOS battery. This error usually means that your CMOS battery is dead and has no charge left. Since this CMOS battery is used to keep your system clock running when your system is turned off, you will get this error on every startup of your computer. The CMOS battery is a small battery that you will easily recognize on the motherboard. The battery can die because of old age, if your computer is really old, or because of a power surge.

So you don't really have a choice. The good news is that the replacement batteries cost from 1-3 dollars and are found in Walgreens, CVS, Anystore...

Nov 30, 2020
It will reset your bios. I thought the clock was a Windows function but apparently not. Anyway, your issue is likely a dead cmos battery, I found this:

This error is almost always caused by a problematic CMOS battery. This error usually means that your CMOS battery is dead and has no charge left. Since this CMOS battery is used to keep your system clock running when your system is turned off, you will get this error on every startup of your computer. The CMOS battery is a small battery that you will easily recognize on the motherboard. The battery can die because of old age, if your computer is really old, or because of a power surge.

So you don't really have a choice. The good news is that the replacement batteries cost from 1-3 dollars and are found in Walgreens, CVS, Anystore...

A dead battery? Everything runs fine and I just got the motherboard in December, how is that possible?