Foxconn: Employee Suicide Had It Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
"Foxconn apparently has paid out roughly $44,000 USD to Danyong's family, and gave Danyong's girlfriend an Apple MacBook. Shockingly, while visiting Foxconn, a journalist was threatened to be beaten up by two men wearing Foxconn shirts and a guard if he continued to ask Danyong's family questions."

I should be outraged but for some reason I find this insanely humorous.

G

demonhorde665:

Foxconn makes parts for everything. Even my ASUS motherboard. Just look inside, something is bound to be Foxconn-branded.

And for this story, no one knows what really went on. No one knows all the facts. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.

Charbax

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Foxconn engineers make EVERYTHING inside of the iphone. Apple is just a brand that buys the iphone for $125 from Foxconn and sells it for $500 to cell phone carriers.

Foxconn uses a hundred thousand slaves in China to manufacture iphones and ipods.

Get the truth out!

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
$44,000 and a mac book, so thats what a life is worth now a days? This is a very disturbing and sad story. Other things were missing and he got them back? either him or someone was taking them and doing something with them. Corporate espionage maybe? Maybe it wasn't him, and someone else? If he did loose and get back some things, maybe someone took the iphone from him to blame him? Maybe he did do it. If they find out it wasn't him they'll probably cover it up just like they'll cover up the interrogation reports.

If this happened in the US the family would get millions.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Though no one knows all the facts in THIS story, Foxconn has been nailed several times for poor work conditions. Foxconn is always under investigation for something. So it is very reasonable to think that there is alot more to this then what is being filter down too us.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I don't know about everyone else, but I have a feeling that this sort of thing happens a lot in China. I think the only reason we are hearing about it is because a large American company's product was involved. If it had been the prototype for, say Microsoft's Xbox handheld, he would have been called a Microsoft employee. Yes, Apple employs Foxconn to manufacture their system parts. But Foxconn makes system parts for hundreds, if not more various electronic items. Next time your DVD player breaks down, open it up and you will more than likely find at least some part on there manufactured by Foxconn. We can state that we will boycott the to the ends of the Earth, but most electronics have something made by them. The only way to boycott them completely would be to boycott electronics in general. Hmmm, interesting idea...

zelog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Family gets $44,000 = "He's not worth more? You cheap b_st_rds!"
We save a few $ on Made in PRC = "China rules! Let's buy more stuff from them!"
People are stupid

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Why didn't they fire him earlier when he lost things? It was obvious he wasn't a reliable employee. Killing him or interrogating him until he decides death is the only way out seems a bit extreme... but the real question is, did his girl friend get the original white Mac Book or the aluminum one. Also, does it have the Green Dam value added software? All important question....

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
44k? That's like 4 years pay for their average worker.
[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]People need to think before they post! Foxconn makes TONS of equipment for many different companies. Including Microsoft!![/citation]

There are so many RRoD jokes going through my head right now.

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
[citation][nom]PcBuilderJeff[/nom]I for one will not buy any more FoxConn products[/citation]

Foxcon unfortunately is the only maker of standard desktop CPU sockets at the moment. Sooo... unless you're not going to buy any more computers...

Just so everyone know, as said over and over, FOXCONN makes LOTS of stuff for EVERYONE. 9 our of 10 USB port connectors on boards and cases are .......FOXCONN. same for the audio plugs and almost all ports on your system.

The funny thing is Apple DID claim they made all there parts where as PC parts came from all over and that is why Apple stuff works better, yet they use the SAME parts as a DELL.....yes Dell is almost ALL foxconn.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
with all that happened and happens at foxconn, and i have international friends that are employees there that have told me horror stories... i wont go into detail, i wasnt there so i cannot verify these things as facts... but considering what we have heard in general, and now they threaten journalists... i think foxconn should be shut down, or the execs and people doing the bullying should have their fucking heads publicly splattered.... in this day and age i think we should have a zero tolerence policy on all violent crime everywhere... no matter how simple or severe.... you die....

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]dq0pb[/nom]demonhorde665:Foxconn makes parts for everything. Even my ASUS motherboard. Just look inside, something is bound to be Foxconn-branded. [/citation]

thanks for literally stealing my comment from the last time an article on this was posted dearest comrade. The threats to the reporter is enough to me to go ahead and say that the foxconn factory is producing bombs to provide to terrorists at night and we should bomb it. :p

oh and btw, fuck china.

superj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Companies should be held responsible for the actions of their foreign partners (they chose them). We as North Americans are critical of the human rights record of many big Chinese companies, but have no rules or policies disallowing products made under such conditions.
I for one think if the product is not made under conditions that meet National Workplace standards in my home country (Canada). Then it shouldn't be allowed to be sold here. This should apply to wholly assembled products as well as individual components (like cpu sockets or USB ports). It would give the NA economy a big boost to, since much of the Asian business would be shut down or forced to be priced closer to NA alternatives.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]pwndcake[/nom]Sun Danyong's girlfriend was in the market for a computer that was worth as much as a human life. We told her - you find it, you keep it.[/citation]

So wrong on so many levels but it was still funny lol.

Anyways its pretty obvious apple dosent make there product.
They have LG screens, Intel Processors motherboards are actually
made by a couple of companies, and the case by someone else.

Its a PC just called an apple.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
The only thing we can do right now is waiting.

Wait until the official investigation reports are out. In the mean time, if you're religious enough, pray.

Pray that Foxconn is not involved at all, otherwise, while the right thing to do is to boycott foxconn: Just how can we do that?

Both Apple & Microsoft depend so much on Foxconn's cheap parts.

But then I know for a fact that if we all start using pirated Windows & osx86 both Apple & Microsoft makes ZERO money out of it.

But then on hardware standpoint, the only way to boycott foxconn is to give up buying upgrades & new computers altogether, and simply stick to our current hardware for the rest of our lives.

I do professional movie editing, 3D, Page layout, & a bit of Counter Strike and I just can not see boycotting Foxconn can happen at all.

What do you have in mind? Do you agree or disagree? Let me know.

Regards,

-ND

Status
Not open for further replies.