Foxconn Employees Get 20 Percent Pay Raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The base monthly salary at the Longhua plant is Rmb950 ($140) but staff said they made almost Rmb2,000 a month including overtime.A whopping $140 a month... that wouldn't even pay my cell/data card bill...[/citation]

Goes a long way in China though. Is that a reflection of the raise, or instead your own 'living' expenses?

G

Don't forget they live inside factory cities. Their rent and food are deducted from their paychecks. For these companies it is still win/win for them. Sad.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
This bears repeating for your clueless libertarians;
Don't forget they live inside factory cities. Their rent and food are deducted from their paychecks. For these companies it is still win/win for them. Sad.
from ttt222

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
you have to be seriously underpaying your employees to be able to work a 20% company wide pay raise into your budget

what you wanna bet their food and rent deductions go up to

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There is no correlation between suicide and pay rate. Infact if anything, the rich are more likely to commit suicide because they tend to have more time on their hands.

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's good for them to get a pay raise anyway, but don't be so ignorant converting Chinese salaries into USD to judge from "OUR" living standard in North America. They may earn now about 2000 RMB a month (not good, but not bad either), but their regular meal including an appetizer, main course and a drink also cost no more than 30 RMB in most local restaurants. And last year I visited in Beijing, a friend of mine brought me to local bars where local beers are about 5 RMB each bottle.

Can you buy a beer for .75 cents night out in US? I doubt so.

Foxconn has currently 900K+ factory workers, 12 suicides in 2010 are definitely unfortunate, but how about this percentage compared to the actual society? Do you guys know that in Japan, there are still 30,000+ suicides every year? Money might play a roll here but I personally think it's not the main issue.

G

"falchard
There is no correlation between suicide and pay rate. Infact if anything, the rich are more likely to commit suicide because they tend to have more time on their hands"

does that mean i can await the demise of mr jobs and mr gates?.......... doubtful

G

"vancouverboy
....Money might play a roll here but I personally think it's not the main issue"

the word your looking for is involuntary suicide, because few people stab themselves multiple times before throwing themselves off a building

Pay rates should be relative to the cost of living. Even here in the US, higher pay rates are found in cities that have higher costs of living (NYC, San Fransico, LA...etc). If their cost of living isn't as high, which it isn't, they don't need to be up to 'our standards' or our minimum wage.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The base monthly salary at the Longhua plant is Rmb950 ($140) but staff said they made almost Rmb2,000 a month including overtime.A whopping $140 a month... that wouldn't even pay my cell/data card bill...[/citation]
You don't live where they live where 140 is well above the avg for people of their skill set location and age.

Although they get trapped into a foxconn serfdom where they can own more then they make make making deals with foxconn such as food plans etc.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They should have increased their pay by 450%, that would bring pay's up to "our" standards, and become equivalent of working at macdonalds.[/citation]

they do that drastic of a raise and OBVIOUSLY the prices of their components go up. higher prices mean people buy less and the company doesnt make a good profit. use some logic before demanding wage increases. a business is a business, theyre not there to better the lives of the working people. its a fact of life, thats how its always been

xtremesv

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have an HP LCD monitor and recently I got to know that it is made by Foxconn. The same thing happens with the "glorious" iPad which you might be holding right now. Who are the ones to blame, Foxconn or those big companies that stick their logos on the final products?

Status
Not open for further replies.