Foxconn Holds Anti-Suicide Rally for Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Yeah, take pictures of your male employees wearing pink "I[/citation]

The forum ate my post. I was trying to say that maybe taking pictures of their male employees wearing pink "I 'heart' Foxconn" shirts, and then sending the pics to the media, might not be the best strategy at suicide prevention.

In all seriousness tho, as much of a callous jerk as I am, I hope that the improved working conditions have reduced the suicide rates. The poor folks just want to work, and have limited means to do so outside of these factories.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
"With these new Foxconn T-shirts, you can show your heart on the outside for everyone to see... along with various other body parts strewn across the pavement."

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]yeah the guy on the left says it all![/citation]

yeah i was thinking the same thing. that guys sure looks happy. maybe pink just isnt his color?

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I think Foxconn should hire more exorcists, or better ones, if they got through the net and died, I think a demon is pushing them. >=D[/citation]

Someone replaced a few random nets with razor wire.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Oh Boy, tomorrow we will hear of the next Foxconn victim. All the people in the photo look like they just came from a high school gym class(young and sweaty).

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I sure hope all these comments, (and indeed the post itself - i'm talking to you Jane), are just a big joke.
Suicide rates at Foxconn are 1/7th of the national average.
They are obviously doing something right.

Sure, a dozen people have killed themselves, but we are not talking a office with a hundred people, we are talking about a company with more people in a single factory than live in the entire City of Detroit.

How many people in Detroit commited suicide last year? If they follow the national average of the USA it will be just over 100 people. So dont rag on Foxconn when you clearly dont have your own house in order, they are doing much better than the rest of us and stats show that it isn't even a cultural thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

China as a whole has a higher suicide rate of 13.9 per 100,000 compared to the USA of 11.1 per 100,000.
If the rate of suicides stays constant for the rest of the year there will be approx 18 out of 920,000
That's 1.9 per 100,000
That's 7.3 times less than China as a whole and 5.8 times less than the USA
Comparing Foxconn suicide rates as if they were another nation they would be amongst the lowest in the world

Back to using Detroit as an example, 28 per 100,000 Policemen in Detroit kill themselves
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2009/09/suicide_rate_of_detroit_cops_h.html
That's over 14 times more than Foxconn
So when is the Detroit PD going to hire monks, exorcists, counselors and put up nets?

There is no suicide problem at Foxconn, stop telling people there is

My heart goes out to these poor workers who toil day and night for this terrible corporation. This is modern slavery. The slaves aren't traded and sold as if they were stock like they were in the old days. But are given little choice but to chose their servitude or it is hunger.

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]My heart goes out to these poor workers who toil day and night for this terrible corporation. This is modern slavery. The slaves aren't traded and sold as if they were stock like they were in the old days. But are given little choice but to chose their servitude or it is hunger.[/citation]

Well, THEY either choose to work for actually quite a good company, or to work for somebody else. If they go hungry, many situations it is their own fault, but i agree we should sympathize with those who it isnt their fault.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
They should buy some cute cats and let them about in many locations in the plant to brighten up peoples days when they take a break.

Oh wait, this is China. Maybe another animal they don't eat. I just can't think of any.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
920000 employees! wow, no wonder each one feels so insignificant. Typical manager-employee dialogue would go like this: "Ok, employee #689312, what do you do here at Foxconn?" "I'm the one pasting the QC OK sticker on the motherboards. So many of them. What does QC OK mean anyway?"

Status
Not open for further replies.