Foxlingo hijacks my blog and website

ReelLifePhotos

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello,
I have both a website and a blog, Somehow, Foxlingo appears to add its own code into my site and blog, so regardless of browser used, or actual PC used, it is creating a sidepanel with unauthorised advertising on it . I was able to find the code and delete it from my website, but I have been unable to locate it on my wordpress blog. It appears Firefox is doing this to support their work, but why then should it appear even in IE and Chrome, and I don't even use Foxlingo! It doesn't happen on any other sites, just my own!

from gogling that software issue make sure you go under firefox and under tools remove foxlingo and buzzdock that it drops on your system. if it not under firefox tools check under add remove programs. also download malware bytes and clean up any spyware on your system. also if your anti virus is old or out of date remove the old anti virus and install a newer version. there are a lot of good free anti virus programs out there.

JMChristian

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I'm having the same problem with www.johnmichaelchristian.com. Somehow Foxlingo put a code on my server and I haven't been able to find it yet. It shows up on my client's browsers as well, so it's not on my personal computer. If anyone knows how to get rid of this please let me know. Thanks..

EmilioOo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm dealing with a very similar problem (a pop up bar at the bottom of the screen) on www.5days2013.it - Drupal based.

A few months ago I found the Foxlingo code in my pages and removed it, but only now I noticed this bar... And it seems that there is no Foxlingo code anymore in the pages!

Any idea?

Best wishes
Emilio

Nethera

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I have the same problem as the above two posters. I do not use FF, I use chrome. But regardless of browser, and regardless of computer used, location, etc, the bar comes up when anyone visits my site. I made a reply on another thread asking for help, and blackbird posted the same exact reply, which is not the answer. The link he provided instructs on how to remove the foxlingo addon from your FireFox browser.

Blackbird, I know you're trying to help, but you posted this same exact link again on how to remove foxlingo from your FF browser. This is not the solution. The foxlingo bottom bar ad banner comes up for anyone, on any browser, that visits our sites. The foxlingo code must be embedded in the site somewhere, and has nothing to do with firefox at this point. I've looked for the foul code in the html but cannot seem to find it.

Does anyone have a real solution for this?
Neth

JMChristian

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I have an update for everyone. I found the code on my johnmichaelchristian.com webite. If you check the home page of your site you will find a javascript code that goes out to two different websites and loads the ads. To get rid of it, go into your dashboard then to "pages" then to your home page. After it's showing in the editing window click on "text" (if you have the default Wordpress setup). If you're running the ckeditor plugin or something similar it will probably say "html". After you click on that you will see the html code that builds the page from behind the scenes. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will most likely find something that says <script> with a bunch of other code. It specifically says FoxLingo in the code so you can't miss it and you will see links to at least two other websites. If it isn't on your main page check each of them one by one the same way.

By the way.. this solution is probably ONLY for a static page setup on your website. If you're running it in blog format with posts then I recommend you check out your main page php files and look for the same kind of code. If you're not good with php I'd recommend finding a web designer to look at it for you. Most likely though it would be at the bottom of whatever page your editing as an add on. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
John

EmilioOo

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi,
I think the only solution is removing from the source code of all your webpages the code of the scripts!
Note that the code could be not only in the articles, but also in the other parts of the webpage (in every place you can in some way edit... For instance in my webpage www.5days2013.it I solved the problem founding the last piece of code in the top "thanks to" bar...).
I suggest searching the word "foxlingo" in the source code of each page, in a couple of hour you should have solved the problem!

EDIT @John: I found the code both in the static part of the webpage (the top bar) and in articles, I think one should check both! However looking at the source code of the resulting page can help to finding out where the malicious code is (for instance I noticed the script near the logos at the top of the page, so I understood that the problem was in the top bar!).

Best wishes
Emilio

JMChristian

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Great idea Emilio. I did want to add also that the only way I can think that it could have been installed on my site was when I was using a Firefox webmaster plugin that allowed me to debug java and some other code easier. The only site I remember doing any work on with that plugin installed in Firefox was the one that was infected. I also had FoxLingo installed at the same time and I suspect the code was installed through a security weakness in the plugin, but I don't know for sure. I also don't recall at the moment which addon I used in Firefox but it may have been FireBug.

Just an fyi also to everyone, you should have a good security plugin on all of your Wordpress sites, and change your "admin" login to something different if you can. If you don't know your way around mysql you may want to just go with a security plugin however. For security on my sites I use 'Bulletproof Security' on all of them after having several hacked two years ago. That guy got in brute force though and discovered my password when I was using admin. That got my account shut down for a while, but after I installed Bulletproof I haven't had any problems up until now. This though was a different type of attack.. whomever it was didn't have full access to my server.. only to my one site and it looks to me like only that one page.. which also happens to be the page I was working on through Firefox.
Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John