FPS all over the place with RTX 2070

Jan 21, 2019
Hello everyone,

I just recently upgraded to an RTX 2070 and In games like AC odyssey and BF5, my fps is all over the place. Like one minute it is at like 70fps but might drop below 50 the next and even worse near 30fps in BF5 (Especially in BF5, but depends on the map im on) I have tried both 1080p and 1440p and BF5 in 1080 doesnt increase frames by much than the 2k resolution, I am also not running Ray tracing and I am up to date with the latest Nvidia drivers. Just obviously annoying spending near £500 for a graphics card for the performance to not be as good as I thought it would have been.

Could this be due to another part of my PC? I do know that these two games are CPU intensive rather than GPU, but I am not sure why the FPS is fluctuating so much. Could anyone help out?

Specs below (Please point anything out that I have missed on)

CPU- I7 4770 (Non K)
GPU- RTX 2070
RAM- DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz
PSU- 750W
Monitor- 2560x1440p Acer predator 165hz monitor

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2019

Hello, Thanks for the response.

Do you also think adding an extra 8gb of ram will help with performance? I also get some stutter in BF5 also, just feels a bit jerky when turning the camera and moving around.

Could you recommend any Decent CPUS for these types of games? (Maybe not too expensive but kinda decent CPUs?)

Thankyou

Jan 21, 2019

So if cpu usage is over 90% for any cores then its deffo a cpu issue? What would be the thing to check if that is not the issue?

Jan 21, 2019

I am currently at work and will be home in a couple of hours so I will run then and post it into here

Thanks for the help!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Sorry was asleep. First thing that sticks out is your SSD is likely plugged into a sata 2 port not a sata 3/6gb port

Your CPU is indert performing by a bit but you had some stuff running in the background so it's probably not we bad as it looks.

I'd suggest download ddu
Boot into safe mode with networking
Run ddu
Install drivers for 2070

See if that helps

Either of those games could be using up your ram as well so you might consider moving to 16gb

Jan 21, 2019

Thanks, I will give that a go later on when I am finished at work and see if that makes a difference and let you know.

Jan 21, 2019

So I did the DDU in safe mode, uninstalled all the drivers and re-installed, however it didnt make much difference, just seems my frame rate in the games arent consistent and jump up and down alot, ive tried V sync but this doesnt seem to make a difference at all. My guess is either my RAM or CPU is failing to keep up. Just think these type of games are alot more cpu dependant rather than GPU so thats possibly my issue, even though the i7 4770 is decent it is quite an old processor at the end of the day... I think its all dependant on what game I am playing.

If you have any other suggestions then please ping them at me however i just think these games are just the way they are.

monsta

Splendid
I would definitely add another 8GB of memory as you are currently only using a single stick which can affect performance, also ensure that your memory is set to XMP in the bios. Your cpu can also be holding you back , if you had the K model it would of been good to overclock it to give it more juice.

Jan 21, 2019

I think i will add another 8gb ram, i did originally have 16gb but a stick of ram failed which caused my system to mess up so i had to take it out as it caused constant BSODS etc every 15 mins.

I havent tested these games on 16gb ram so I will give it ago and I get what you mean I would get the 4770k, however its just not worth the money, id rather just upgrade to a newer Processor and mobo completely as it would be better for the future, but as for now i havent got the money for that because that would mean mobo upgrade, cpu upgrade and ddr4 ram so it wouldnt be cheap. I've heard that these games peform better on 16gb with the newer rtx cards aswell. I'll give it check after i finish work tonight might possibly put in an order for another 8gb stick.

Jan 21, 2019

Trouble is aswell, i cannot seem to find 1x8gb ram stick of the ram i currently have, i can only see 2x4gb sticks, would this be okay? so it would be 3 sticks of 16gb ram altogether

Jan 21, 2019
Hi Everyone, quick update I got the 16gb ram and it seems to make a huge difference in smoothing out games. Its crazy because when im playing AC odyssey its using over 8gb ram so clearly the ram is helping!