Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I've asked some others to see if theres anything I haven't thought of, because I just don't know. It doesn't make sense at all.

I'm curious to see for the heck of it how it performs at another house. Can't hurt right?

Indeed, well thank you for trying to help me anyway. I don't know when I will be able to take it to another house, but I shall let you know what happens when I do.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Last edited:
My apologies if I've missed some items reading this thread.

Some software solutions to try:

Clean reinstall of graphics drivers using DDU. driver ONLY needed (display only if possible, PhysX and HDMI sound IF needed)

Clean boot setup, no afterburner, RGB control software, etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Set monitor for Gsync of course, test VSync on VS not on in game.

Game to use exclusive fullscreen, NOT windowed or borderless windowed

NVidia Inspector to set a limit on frames (parhaps to 120) to help frame pacing

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

Running a 4x8Gb memory config, or a 2x16Gb config? If 4x8, try dropping to a 2x8gb config to make less work on the memory controller.

In Advanced power, PCIE link state power manangement OFF. Processor min/max to 100% to avoid stepping

Set a longer drive active time in power management, or exclude all other drives but your system drive. Indexing is running in the background, and indexing is a PIG on resources at times.

Set a task to Empty Standby List

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhyLH9rO9VQ

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
My apologies if I've missed some items reading this thread.

Some software solutions to try:

Clean reinstall of graphics drivers using DDU. driver ONLY needed (display only if possible, PhysX and HDMI sound IF needed)

Clean boot setup, no afterburner, RGB control software, etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Set monitor for Gsync of course, test VSync on VS not on in game.

Game to use exclusive fullscreen, NOT windowed or borderless windowed

NVidia Inspector to set a limit on frames (parhaps to 120) to help frame pacing

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

Running a 4x8Gb memory config, or a 2x16Gb config? If 4x8, try dropping to a 2x8gb config to make less work on the memory controller.

In Advanced power, PCIE link state power manangement OFF. Processor min/max to 100% to avoid stepping

Set a longer drive active time in power management, or exclude all other drives but your system drive. Indexing is running in the background, and indexing is a PIG on resources at times.

Set a task to Empty Standby List

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhyLH9rO9VQ

I have already tried everything that you have mentioned I am afraid. Nothing ever seems to work, and its a not a simple stutter. This video I recorded should show you what I mean.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Everything is up to date, including the bios.

And I just ran Latencymon and this message popped up a few seconds into running the program.

Hmm ok brings me back to a power issue.

You definitely have the 8 pin CPU power connection plugged in from your PSU to your motherboard?

Do you have your system set to "High Performance"

Go into your BIOS and then in Advanced under Extreme Tweaker make sure EPU power saving is disabled, Then go to External Digi+ power control make sure everything is set to Auto. Set CPU Power duty and Power Phase to Extreme. Internal CPU Power management set Speedstep to Disabled, Turbo to Enabled.

Lets see what all that does.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hmm ok brings me back to a power issue.

You definitely have the 8 pin CPU power connection plugged in from your PSU to your motherboard?

Do you have your system set to "High Performance"

Go into your BIOS and then in Advanced under Extreme Tweaker make sure EPU power saving is disabled, Then go to External Digi+ power control make sure everything is set to Auto. Set CPU Power duty and Power Phase to Extreme. Internal CPU Power management set Speedstep to Disabled, Turbo to Enabled.

Lets see what all that does.

The CPU power connection is indeed an 8-pin cable. And I have it set to balanced but having it set to "High Performance" does not change anything, not for me anyway. I also just did everything that you suggested in the bios and none of it had any effect sadly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The CPU power connection is indeed an 8-pin cable. And I have it set to balanced but having it set to "High Performance" does not change anything, not for me anyway. I also just did everything that you suggested in the bios and none of it had any effect sadly.

Something is clearly wrong though. Your painful video and Latency monitor clearly show something awry.

Lets get back to your Windows install again. Fresh new latest version right? Installed on what type of drive?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Something is clearly wrong though. Your painful video and Latency monitor clearly show something awry.

Lets get back to your Windows install again. Fresh new latest version right? Installed on what type of drive?

Latest version, yep. And it's installed on the Samsung 970 EVO. Also, I was playing Destiny 2 about 30 minutes ago and my PC just locked up, I tried everything but it was just super frozen, I had no choice but to turn it off, that's never happened before.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Latest version, yep. And it's installed on the Samsung 970 EVO. Also, I was playing Destiny 2 about 30 minutes ago and my PC just locked up, I tried everything but it was just super frozen, I had no choice but to turn it off, that's never happened before.

You didn't mention replacing the SSD in your parts replacement. Lets test your 970 EVO

https://crystalmark.info/en/

Your pagefile is on the SSD right?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I only have an SSD, and how do I check the pagefile?

Also, I ran the test and this is the results.

Pagefile is Windows Virtual Memory, you probably didn't mess with it if you don't know what I'm talking about, so nothing to worry about.

As for the drive, performance looks right.

Go to Task Manager, then Details, and sort decending by CPU and show me whats using CPU cycles.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Pagefile is Windows Virtual Memory, you probably didn't mess with it if you don't know what I'm talking about, so nothing to worry about.

As for the drive, performance looks right.

Go to Task Manager, then Details, and sort decending by CPU and show me whats using CPU cycles.

Here you go.

By the way, I reset Windows again today, not reinstalled but just reset and deleted everything, so as of right now all I have installed is Steam, GOG, Discord, Firefox and the NVIDIA GPU drivers, and the issue is still here. I tested games before even installing anything too and still had the issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Here you go.

By the way, I reset Windows again today, not reinstalled but just reset and deleted everything, so as of right now all I have installed is Steam, GOG, Discord, Firefox and the NVIDIA GPU drivers, and the issue is still here. I tested games before even installing anything too and still had the issue.

Can you make that a shot of just a normal pop up box not full screen? I can't review that image on my laptop.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Honestly, the only thing that I can think of being the cause is that I messed up during the build process? I can not think of anything. I don't know what I could have messed up as it's so straight forward. But what else could it honestly be?

Also, I don't know how reliable this site is, but this is the result of using UserBenchmark earlier.

CPU score is poor, not surprising.

Either some bad piece of hardware, or some piece of software is dragging your CPU.

Any antivirus software?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
CPU score is poor, not surprising.

Either some bad piece of hardware, or some piece of software is dragging your CPU.

Any antivirus software?

Nope, I have never used any antiviruses, I just use Malwarebytes every few weeks to check my PC, plus Windows Security seems to do the job. I don't see why it would be down to software as I literally have nothing really installed at the moment as I reset my PC again.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Nope, I have never used any antiviruses, I just use Malwarebytes every few weeks to check my PC, plus Windows Security seems to do the job. I don't see why it would be down to software as I literally have nothing really installed at the moment as I reset my PC again.

In userbenchmark see where it says turbo is 3.05 avg? Thats really bad, it should be 4.6 for your CPU, the system is not clocking up and instead of delivering turbo its just dragging.

Download Intel Xtreme Tuning

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/66427/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Run the benchmark and share a screen shot of it (please not full screen just the window)

Then also hit "compare online" and click "analyze", then share the analyze link.

Status
Not open for further replies.