FPS capped on certain display modes

Nov 6, 2018
I am unable to completely track the source of the problem but I know some temporary (unwanted) ways to fix it.

My problem comes up often. I will boot up a game in fullscreen mode and everything runs at 144fps. This is perfectly fine. I then, try changing the display setting within the game to borderless windowed. Sometimes the game keeps running at 144fps. I do the same for Windowed and sometimes, again, I get 144fps.

Other times I'll do the exact same and when changing the display mode to borderless windowed or windowed, my game caps at 60fps (The actual game says it's running at 180+ but it's not showing up like that on my monitor)

When this is the case I've found that either disconnecting my second monitor or ending the 'windows explorer' process gets the game running at 144fps when in any display mode.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(I have tried updating and rolling back my Nvidia drivers with clean installs, disabling HEPT. I have tried rebooting after such changes and a number of other things. A lot of them SEEM like they work initially but then a short time later the issue comes up again. This issue has arisen pretty recently and I can't recall exactly when it began.)

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Okay well some other setting is taking over because games do not have control over fps caps in windowed mode. Try manually setting the monitor's refresh rate in the windows display settings. Some 144hz monitors come with a default 60hz cap that has to be changed.

Nov 6, 2018

Nvidia control panel and windows display settings both share that the monitor is displaying 144hz. This is also clearly visible in games. Presently, borderless windowed is showing 144fps, but this issue will be back in a few hours? Tomorrow? Unsure but it keeps returning.