FPS Capped or Uncapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devin_26

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Recently built my wife a new gaming rig. Commonly and most played game right now League of Legends, Uncapped she can get well over 150 FPS average in fights. Is it okay for most games and or league in this case to have fps uncapped? Will it tire the GPU faster? Should we cap at 144, 121, 60, etc.? Thank you.

Solution

Literally none of that is totally true, in the right direction, but not 100% accurate.

Capping at 120 for a 60Hz monitor is fine on LoL, I did it just fine.

HDMI is not limited to 60Hz in general, it depends entirely on the resolution running. At 2560x1600, yeah its 60Hz, but...

KyleADunn

Honorable

If your CPU or GPU is getting hot, or if you're getting screen tears, it might be a good idea to cap it at your monitor's refresh rate of 60, 120, or 144hz.

Otherwise there's no harm in leaving VSync off.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I would cap it.

League tears easily and thats very annoying. V-sync adds input lag which is bad in a game like LoL, so the only answer for smooth gameplay is to cap the framerate. I cap mine at 100, same as my refresh rate. I would cap whatever you can get by without it tearing.

I would cap you framerate, if you get 150fps, but you have a 60hz monitor, then you should cap it at 70 or 80, as it does shorten the lifetime of the GPU if you have it running on high temps, and there is no point in having more frames than you can actually see.
Hint: a HDMI cable can only transfer 60fps, so if you have a 144 Hz monitor, but plug it into a computer with a HDMI cable, you can only see 60fps on the screen :)
Hope this answers your question

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Literally none of that is totally true, in the right direction, but not 100% accurate.

Capping at 120 for a 60Hz monitor is fine on LoL, I did it just fine.

HDMI is not limited to 60Hz in general, it depends entirely on the resolution running. At 2560x1600, yeah its 60Hz, but at 4k, its 30Hz, and that's ASSUMING its HDMI 1.4 and being used at all, but at lower resolutions the cap is higher. In any case DP should be used for higher refresh rates anyways.

Higher temps only shorten the lifespan of the GPU if they are outside or close to the maximum operating limit of the manufacturer. But there's also no point running something harder than necessary, because it is going to get hotter, and as a result, louder.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.