FPS Caps vs V-Sync, Chill, Enhanced Sync HELP INFO

jorjo

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 2, 2018
Hello,

I own a Samsung C24F396FHU monitor, running at 72hz.
My graphics card is RX 580 8GB.

Will be smart, to caps FPS for a game (ex. Call of Duty) from AMD Radeon settings at 70FPS, enable Freesync and disable V-Sync (both in AMD Radeon settings and in-game menu) to avoid extra input lag?
Is this the best way to play games in whose i reach 90 FPS uncapped? Because using V-Sync make it smooth in 72FPS, but adds input lag, and if i will not use V-Sync, gameplay isn't smooth and i have tearing. What's the point to have 90FPS as long as my 72HZ monitor will always display 72FPS?

Also what's the best configuration for using Chill and Enhanced Sync technologies? I have read so many articles (also contacted AMD and Sapphire), but not a clear answer.

Extra Question: If i had an 144HZ monitor, i could leave V-sync OFF, Freesync OFF and i could get a smooth gameplay as long as all FPS will be displayed in right time? All these technologies are needed for lower-Hz monitors to make them produce a smooth gameplay?

Thank you.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
i don't use chill, it's a power and temp lowering feature, just disable it. it's good if you are having heat or power issues, unless you have some wonky single fan model your card should stay cool. my 480 never even hits 60c under full load with 2 fans. chill is going to lower the framerate based on what's going on, sounds good on a laptop, but not needed on a desktop.

I don't have a freesync display, but I believe it should work like this... cap your fps manually, if you are on the 72hz display, cap it at 71. turn off vsync and you should be able to just use freesync alone since your within your refresh rate range. there is no point at 90fps when ur display is 72hz. it's like someone running 120fps on a 60hz display, but they are only getting 60fps. vsync helps keep the fps within the refresh rate rate, but if you manually set this with RivaTuner or whatever else (i use that since it comes with afterburner, amazing software) you won't need vsync and freesync keeps it smooth.