[SOLVED] FPS/clock significant drop ?

VanDyack

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
hi everyone, so my trouble is that lately, my graphic card seems to have been underperforming, some games that i remember to play at high settings like war thunder or Total War Rome II now I have to turn down some settings because the frame rate started to drop, now these last couple of days i started using the overlay feature of Nvidia and saw on the performance chart that, my GPU clock and memory clock fluctuate dramatically, as soon as i start a game the GPU clock drops to 400 MHz (1556 MHZ its base) and the memory clock to the same around 400 MHz (4006 MHz its base), and it happens not only while playing but also even watching videos on YT, even as I'm writing this the GPU Clock dropped to 140 MHz.
i don't think its the temperature, because it doesn't get the time to rise when the drops happen, not even 60°c

so any help I could get would be really appreciated
Thanks in advance

My Specs Are:
Windows 10 x64
Asus Motherboard M5A97 LE R2.0
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3G
16 Gig Ram
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition
Power Supply: Cooler Master EX2 Treme 525

Solution
  1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Open "Manage 3D Settings"
  3. Look for "Power Management Mode"
  4. Select "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  5. Click "Apply" and restart your computer
This can happen when you set "Adaptive" mode on Power Management Mode so the GPU clock tries to get used to certain things, but can fail or not in my thoughts.
Aug 6, 2021
  1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Open "Manage 3D Settings"
  3. Look for "Power Management Mode"
  4. Select "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  5. Click "Apply" and restart your computer
This can happen when you set "Adaptive" mode on Power Management Mode so the GPU clock tries to get used to certain things, but can fail or not in my thoughts.

Solution