Question FPS difference between 1080p and 900p gaming?

Feb 8, 2019
If i a play a game at 65fps(ultra) in 1080p, then at what fps i will play th same at 900p(ultra). What is the average fps difference between 1080p and 900p gaming at ultra settings?

depends on the game. some will get an fps bump if there struggling to do 45-70 fps. you might get between 2 and 5 fps gain. (if your lucky)
but if your running a game that gives 300 fps already, dropping the rez could cause a cpu bottleneck and cause and fps drop/bounce... like 300 down to 0. then back to 300 again,

greenmrt

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Only you can answer your questions because it depends on the machine and the game. Oversimplifying a bit, the CPU sends the GPU a list of objects to draw and a resolution at which to draw them (which you can change); it's a honey-do list drawn up with tons of instructions. The GPU then gets to work making all the complex calculations to figure out the appropriate color at each pixel. If your CPU is at 100% usage and your GPU still has headroom, then you can run at a higher resolutions with little penalty. The GPU can only render the frames that have been drawn by the CPU. No instructions- no frame.

For instance, I have a Ryzen 1700x CPU and an Nvidia 1070ti graphics card. I get basically the same frame-rate running Overwatch at 1080p and 1440p. If your GPU is struggling, lowering the resolution allows it to produce each frame with few pixels (and less work). If your CPU is struggling, lowering the resolution won't do too much for you.

Good luck!

Whether the GPU or CPU is struggling doesn't always matter. If you simply want higher frame rates than the current resolution, then lowering the resolution will bump up the frame rate to some extent. Yes at some point the CPU will become the bottleneck here, but without knowing any games or your system specs we can't say for sure. However, unless your mobo/cpu is a 10 yr old potato I think it's safer to say that most games are GPU bound. 1920x1080 has 44% more pixels to render as compared to 1600x900, so assuming the CPU won't be bottlenecked you could theoretically get 44% more FPS (IE: from 60 FPS to 86 FPS). No harm in trying it, so just change your settings and see what happens.

TRENDING THREADS