Question Fps drop from 70 to 32 fps problem help please!

Jul 24, 2019
Hello everyone , i have an issue i hope you can help me !

i used to play in rocket league with 70 - 66 fps in high quality textures but these last weeks i seen a huge fps drop from 66 to 29 fps and i don't know why i turn the vsync off and update nvidia driver and also i did a fresh installation of windows but the problem is still persist i really don't know what i can do i test all the solutions in the net but no one help me i don't use a fps locker or lock my fps to 30 in game :/ please help me :'(

my config :

CPU : i5 2450m (2.5ghz / 3.1 ghz boost)

GPU : NVIDIA gt 635m ( 2gb vram )

RAM : 8gb ( 4 gb x 2 )

remember that i already saw that i used to play with 70 fps

( im sorry for my bad english )

Is that a LAPTOP ?

If yes, then try installing the OEM VGA drivers, and re-test your laptop by playing some games. Go to the Laptop Manufacturer's website, and under the "downloads" section, install the GPU VGA drivers, and other system drivers, firmware as well, including updating the BIOS, if not done so.

Are you using Windows 10 OS ?

Jul 24, 2019
Is that a LAPTOP ?

If yes, then try installing the OEM VGA drivers, and re-test your laptop by playing some games. Go to the Laptop Manufacturer's website, and under the "downloads" section, install the GPU VGA drivers, and other system drivers, firmware as well, including updating the BIOS, if not done so.

Are you using Windows 10 OS ?
Yes i have a laptop and i already install VGA driver

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
  1. Try updating to newest Nvidia drivers instead of OEM drivers and see if that helps?
  2. Check your power plan? Is it on High Performance?
  3. In the NCP under 3D Settings are you set to Prefer Maximum Performance?
  4. if you're running off battery try plugging it in.
  5. Use MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner OSD and see what temps you're getting on CPU and GPU. If it's above 90C it's likely you're throttling. Due to the age i'd suspect it's this maybe? If it is you'll have at the least clean it with compressed air but more likely have to take it apart and replace the thermal paste.

Jul 24, 2019
  1. Try updating to newest Nvidia drivers instead of OEM drivers and see if that helps?
  2. Check your power plan? Is it on High Performance?
  3. In the NCP under 3D Settings are you set to Prefer Maximum Performance?
  4. if you're running off battery try plugging it in.
  5. Use MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner OSD and see what temps you're getting on CPU and GPU. If it's above 90C it's likely you're throttling. Due to the age i'd suspect it's this maybe? If it is you'll have at the least clean it with compressed air but more likely have to take it apart and replace the thermal paste.
Hello FatheredPuma81 thank you for your help but i already did all you said but no change and i get 85C in the gpu and 95C CPU but i think its normal cause i used to play with these temps

Jul 24, 2019
Hello FatheredPuma81 thank you for your help but i already did all you said but no change and i get 85C in the gpu and 95C CPU but i think its normal cause i used to play with these temps
and also there is no decreased clock speeds the cpu reach the normal clocks and the gpu also

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
95C for a 2450m is pretty warm I think. Could if you haven't try changing thermal paste regardless.
In this order:
  1. You're sure you're on the same settings?
  2. Have any other games been affected? If not it's possible an update for the game came out which botched performance.
  3. Try installing Windows 7 or Linux Mint (or both) (preferably to a secondary HDD) to confirm whether it's an issue with a Windows 10 update or the Hardware?

Jul 24, 2019
95C for a 2450m is pretty warm I think. Could if you haven't try changing thermal paste regardless.
In this order:
  1. You're sure you're on the same settings?
  2. Have any other games been affected? If not it's possible an update for the game came out which botched performance.
  3. Try installing Windows 7 or Linux Mint (or both) (preferably to a secondary HDD) to confirm whether it's an issue with a Windows 10 update or the Hardware?
i do change the thermal paste and i try to lower the settings but i cant even reach 40fps :'( yea it affected and i do install win 7 and the problem still persist