[SOLVED] Fps drop on high end pc

julio.elifas

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
so i got fps drop almost on every game and it freeze for just a second and then start to normal again, it happens every 10 minutes or so.

PC build:
  • mobo aorus ax370 gaming 5
  • amd ryzen 2600 (stock cooler)
  • evga gtx 1070
  • psu seasonic focus 620w
  • colorful ssd 120gb and 1TB hdd toshiba
  • only 1 stick avexir ddr4 core white 1x8gb (will upgrade soon)

i think its only dota 2 that never gets fps drop, and im not running any background apps while playing

Solution
Ryzen in particular is sensitive to memory setups, especially if gaming at 1080P. Modern titles do benefit from running in dual-channel more w/ 2 or 4 sticks. This wasn't much the case even a few years back. Also, what speed DDR4 module are you using? Ryzen gets a nice performance bump in games and other areas from higher speed kits, namely in 3000-3200 range. This is partly due to the speed of Infinity Fabric as AMD calls it runs at half of the memory frequency. In other words, the faster your RAM, the lower the overall latency, and higher FPS when gaming in your case.

Outside of this, is your UEFI up to date? CPU & GPU temps look normal? Clockspeeds and usage % look about right during gaming?
Mar 14, 2019
I wouldn't have expected to get fps drops in most games with this sort of setup, have you tried disabling any antivirus programs you have temporarily and see if this still happens? As some Anti-virus programs can be quite resource intensive and may result in the fps drops your experiencing. Also check task manager whilst a game is running in the background and have a look to see if any programs are hogging system resources?

Also is this a new build or has this problem recently started occuring?

julio.elifas

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't have expected to get fps drops in most games with this sort of setup, have you tried disabling any antivirus programs you have temporarily and see if this still happens? As some Anti-virus programs can be quite resource intensive and may result in the fps drops your experiencing. Also check task manager whilst a game is running in the background and have a look to see if any programs are hogging system resources?

Also is this a new build or has this problem recently started occuring?
ive tried disable and exit the anti virus but still no luck. im having this build for 4 months and when i upgrade it the problems has been there. at first i dont really care about it but when i see my friend that have lower pc setup than me but he play so smooth without fps drop. and then i start questioning it

Ryzen in particular is sensitive to memory setups, especially if gaming at 1080P. Modern titles do benefit from running in dual-channel more w/ 2 or 4 sticks. This wasn't much the case even a few years back. Also, what speed DDR4 module are you using? Ryzen gets a nice performance bump in games and other areas from higher speed kits, namely in 3000-3200 range. This is partly due to the speed of Infinity Fabric as AMD calls it runs at half of the memory frequency. In other words, the faster your RAM, the lower the overall latency, and higher FPS when gaming in your case.

Outside of this, is your UEFI up to date? CPU & GPU temps look normal? Clockspeeds and usage % look about right during gaming?

Solution

julio.elifas

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

im planning on upgrade the ram to 3200mhz something like corsair vengeance ram. right now im using 2400mhz which is the part of a setup that i havent upgrade yet. for CPU & GPU temps i got around 55 & 57 respectively. idk about clockspeed n usage % at what number its consideri normal. if i remember correctly CPU1 usage is around 30% and gpu <60% at game dying light n witcher 3 on ultra. and when it drops the CPU1 usage goes to 1%, ill check again for gpu usage when it drops. also im gaming on 1080p and im using msi afterburner for monitoring

julio.elifas

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Are the games installed on the SSD or HDD? Have you ran scans or performance tests on these to make sure they are functioning properly? Memtest86 or similar software on the RAM?
sorry for the long response, ive tried all of that and that seems to work fine. i also try to scan a virus using malwarebytes and kaspersky n again nothing to be found. all seems to work properly

julio.elifas

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
never mind i already fix this, so i just need to update my GPU driver. im using driver booster. now i can play all games without fps droping. thank u for all ppl that was helping me