Question FPS "drop" or game stutters

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi.

I have a PC that has a RTX 3080, 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz (A-XMP), and Ryzen 7 5800x 8-Core Processor.

The only 2 drives he has are both an M.2 NVME SSD, one Samsung 500GB, the other an Addlink 2TB M.2 SSD.

Windows is of course on the Samsung drive while the games are on the Addlink one. I personally do not know if it is the drives that are causing the stuttering in games, but I did test the GPU on a different computer and it did not cause any problems. This means it could be the CPU, RAM (possibly? I'd need to take out 2 sticks to verify if it's trying to run quad channel on dual channel sticks), or something is wrong with Windows or drives.

Any idea?

EDIT: RAM confirmed not the issue either.

Last edited:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
What PSU are you running ?

How are your temps for CPU and GPU ?

Have you restarted your internet modem and router ?
GPU Temps stay in 50's when gaming. CPU is cooled with an AIO, most it goes is 60's. Internet is fine (not sure why that was mentioned). PSU is EVGA 1000 GQ I believe, so more than enough.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Just to point out: This happens on multiple games. Some more worse with the stutters than others. Sitting here at the RE Village menu and don't notice stutters. Low loading parts of games seems to not stutter

The internet connection was mentioned because a lot of online game issues turn out to be internet problems...it's good practice to reboot modems weekly for online gamers.

Assuming the issue is with the PC have you changed Windows Power Plan settings ?

Have you run SSD software like CrystalDiskInfo to test the drive health ?

Have you adjusted the Windows page file settings ? Setting a fixed page file size will cause problems with some games.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
The internet connection was mentioned because a lot of online game issues turn out to be internet problems...it's good practice to reboot modems weekly for online gamers.

Assuming the issue is with the PC have you changed Windows Power Plan settings ?

Have you run SSD software like CrystalDiskInfo to test the drive health ?

Have you adjusted the Windows page file settings ? Setting a fixed page file size will cause problems with some games.
I suppose current games do have "online only" gameplay. Not found to be the problem however.

High Performance as usual. No "sleeping" disk set on.

I have done a Devices Self-Test in the BIOS, nothing came up.

Reinstalling Windows entirely should've fixed that. It did not. There isn't a fixed page file by default, I know that for sure.

The M.2 in question does not get high temperatures either. It has a shield with a thermal pad.

Strange.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hmmm have you tried swapping out the PSU ?

Have you updated the Samsung nvme driver ? Tried an older GPU driver ?
Don't have a spare PSU to test it on. I've used the GPU on a different system entirely and it worked fine, so it isn't that. Tried taking out RAM, wouldn't work.

I could try updating the driver. Never knew you could.