Fps drop to unplayable frames after 5 mins of gaming

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
My friend PC is the Asus 20g, the one with the 750ti/i3 model. we switch it out to have the 1050ti so you can note this. for a few months everything was alright with his system but the last 3 days something weird happens now.

1. after 5 mins the game simple starts to slow the fps down slowly still it reaches 2- 5 fps.
2. the audio starts break as well
3. sometimes it even restarts itself.

things i have done, check to see if window 10 creator update may have an effect so i told him to turn of the "Game mode, Game DVR, and Game Bar".

Wipe his Drivers completely and choose a driver that i know worked fine.

made sure his HDD health was alright.

nothing worked...one thing that he tried to do is that he notice the power cable was kinda loose. so fix that and it "Seem" to work but...after 15 mins the same thing happen but now the game drops down the fps than back up to normal while screwing the audio for good.

so we are bring another power supply (laptop form, g20 uses two power cords) to see if that helps.

my question is that this does not make sense at all if it was the power. since the system was working just fine at full throttle and now it cant work being Vsync at 60 frames.

any ideas at this point?

also on a side note, i had to make a new account cause for some reason none of my passwords works for the old account and everytime i try to change my passer i get an error...any word on why?

xxepiccrulerxx

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
When you said that often your computer restarts the only thing i could think of was one of two things
Either your PSU is not powerful enough to support your rig (which is unlikely as you stated this just started happening)
Or more likely, your CPU is either dying or overheating, try taking the heatsink off and re-applying thermal paste, and watch the temps of your CPU while gaming, or your heatsink may be faulty all together.
Hope this helps!
May your frames be high and your temps low

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
we tried running the pc at max out and the temp stops around 82c for the gpu and around 60-70c for the CPU. here is what we found...if we Vsync the gpu to 60 fps for rocket league it does not shutdown anymore.

since its not max out maybe it is the power is simple too much?

xxepiccrulerxx

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

82C?!?!?!? Jesus Christ dude that's way too high for your GPU... I don't think that's what's shutting down the PC but that's a serious problem. The CPU seems to be stable so I'm guessing it's the PSU

xraulb

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

it is a very small pc so i dont really blame it plus its i believe the Red zone is around 95C for these cards anyways...well update....the issue came back even with the vsync XI..... i dont know really know anymore. this is a completely new issue that i simple can't trouble shoot.

one thing i will try is a motherboard Bios update, than use the power supply once it comes in, and if all that does not work.....a completely reset

xxepiccrulerxx

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

Im not sure why the power supply would suddenly start doing this, as you said that this has just started happening and youve had the GPU in for a while, if it was because of insufficient power then it would have been an issue from the start. Will you please give me all of your specs so i can further look into this?

Faye_K

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Cable management and case size does not affect temps at all. It's either your gpu fan is broken or it's the card itself. Even cryptomining won't reach temps that high.