Question FPS drop when playing games - rx 5600 xt

ezekielzick

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hi. Im using Gigabyte RX 5600 xt and when i'm playing games, especially Apex Legends. I'm getting fps drop. I lowered the settings of the game and there are times that im getting 120-140 but when i reach the part of the capitol part or fragment, it will be around 60 then it will continue to drop and i'll barely get 100+ i turned off the radeon settings as well( radeon chill, sync, etc). i saw 1 vid in youtube that he's getting around 200 most of the time and the lowest would be 150 in low settings with 5600 xt and r7 3700x

My pc specs.
ryzen 5 1600 stock
rog strix b350f
gigabyte rx 5600 xt
2x8gb 2666mhz tforce
psu seasonic 520w
windows 10 pro 64bit

I'm not really sure if the cpu is the reason but i would like to know if theres a possible issue that im getting aside from the cpu. but right now, i lowered all of the settings, tried to reset shader cache and disabled the features(tessellation, etc) in radeon software, tried low settings and high settings and the fps is really low. i just bought this rx 5600 xt and an updated driver. I really need help here. thanks

Last edited:
Having your RAM running at just DDR4-2133 speed is likely to hurt performance, at least to some extent. You should go into your BIOS settings and activate the XMP profile to get it running at its rated 2666 speed, at the very least, and see whether that helps at all. It might also be worth trying overclocking the processor and/or RAM.

Lowering graphics settings probably won't help much, as that mainly affects demand on the graphics card, and a 5600 XT should be pretty good for running current games at 1080p resolution.

ezekielzick

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Having your RAM running at just DDR4-2133 speed is likely to hurt performance, at least to some extent. You should go into your BIOS settings and activate the XMP profile to get it running at its rated 2666 speed, at the very least, and see whether that helps at all. It might also be worth trying overclocking the processor and/or RAM.

Lowering graphics settings probably won't help much, as that mainly affects demand on the graphics card, and a 5600 XT should be pretty good for running current games at 1080p resolution.

alright ill change the speed. i was trying to reach or maintain 144hz since im mainly playing apex legends and i wanted to avoid getting frame drops. i did try to adjust to high settings but its not maintaining the smooth gameplay im after.