Question Fps drop with new gpu

Jun 13, 2019
I recently bought a 1070 ti, and in games like far cry 5 and battlefield 5 i could only get 20-30 fps on medium settings.
My specs:
Ryzen 3 1300x
500w psu
1070 ti
8gb ram

what are your settings in Nvidia Control Panel? these will override any ingame setting.
and the minimum wattage for this card states 500w. if you have a low quality PSU, you may not be supplying enough steady power.
and this CPU can be a limiting factor. what is the minimum required for this particular game and how does the 1300x compare to that?

Jun 13, 2019
What is the make and model of your psu?

Did you completely uninstall display drivers with ddu and then reinstall them.

Clean os install?

What is your cpu usage in games? The 1300x will limit a 1070ti.

What is your cpu and gpu temperatures.
Raidmax Cobra Power 500W Power Supply
^thts my psu
and yes i did uninstall display drivers with ddu and then reinstalled them but i didnt do a clean os install
my cpu usage is usually 60%-80% in game
cpu temperature 50-65 °C
gpu temperature 50-65 °C

Jun 13, 2019
what are your settings in Nvidia Control Panel? these will override any ingame setting.
and the minimum wattage for this card states 500w. if you have a low quality PSU, you may not be supplying enough steady power.
and this CPU can be a limiting factor. what is the minimum required for this particular game and how does the 1300x compare to that?
all the settings in nvidia are application controlled.
battlefield 5 minimum cpu is ryzen 3 1300x if im not mistaken

Jun 13, 2019
you do have the display plugged directly into the GPU and not the onboard graphics port?

the minimum requirements are usually meant for running lower settings at or under 1080p ~30-60fps. if your CPU is only the bare minimum then it is more than likely the culprit.
Yea its plugged to the gpu
Since its the cpus fault got any cpu recomendations?

Are you running DX12 or DX11? For your cpu make sure it’s DX11. However don’t expect miracles, BF V easily saturates quad cores/threads and the 1300x is not the strongest quad core/thread cpu. 8gb of RAM also isn’t helping, the system will be caching to the HDD/SSD due to limited RAM and this moving data is not only slow it puts extra work on the cpu.

What speed is your RAM. This also have a significant impact on Ryzen performance.

Bottom line don’t expect a 60fps experience in multiplayer. Stronger quad cores with 16gb RAM struggle to keep over 60fps. Single player is significantly less cpu intensive.

I’m not familiar with Far Cry 5 but also believe it is very cpu heavy.

Jun 13, 2019
Are you running DX12 or DX11? For your cpu make sure it’s DX11. However don’t expect miracles, BF V easily saturates quad cores/threads and the 1300x is not the strongest quad core/thread cpu. 8gb of RAM also isn’t helping, the system will be caching to the HDD/SSD due to limited RAM and this moving data is not only slow it puts extra work on the cpu.

What speed is your RAM. This also have a significant impact on Ryzen performance.

Bottom line don’t expect a 60fps experience in multiplayer. Stronger quad cores with 16gb RAM struggle to keep over 60fps. Single player is significantly less cpu intensive.

I’m not familiar with Far Cry 5 but also believe it is very cpu heavy.
my ram speed is 2134 MHz, im running dx12
so i should change my cpu, ram n psu?

Firstly, upgrade your power supply so it doesnt fail.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor | $109.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $59.98 @ Newegg Business
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $244.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 22:04 EDT-0400 |
Id upgrade to faster ram. Even with faster ram the cpu still will struggle. Buy faster cpu.

my ram speed is 2134 MHz, im running dx12
so i should change my cpu, ram n psu?
Get a new psu ASAP. Then change the game to DX11 and you will see some improvement. Unfortunately 2133mhz is the slowest DDR4 and Ryzen CPU’s are significantly impacted by RAM speed. Depending if your motherboard supports it a 2x8gb 3000mhz RAM kit will help. Once you have done this you can decide if you still want to upgrade your cpu.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Jun 13, 2019
Firstly, upgrade your power supply so it doesnt fail.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor | $109.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $59.98 @ Newegg Business
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $244.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 22:04 EDT-0400 |
Id upgrade to faster ram. Even with faster ram the cpu still will struggle. Buy faster cpu.
Ok thanks

Jun 13, 2019
Get a new psu ASAP. Then change the game to DX11 and you will see some improvement. Unfortunately 2133mhz is the slowest DDR4 and Ryzen CPU’s are significantly impacted by RAM speed. Depending if your motherboard supports it a 2x8gb 3000mhz RAM kit will help. Once you have done this you can decide if you still want to upgrade your cpu.
Alright thanks