[SOLVED] FPS dropped to 60+ in Dota 2, Help please!

Aug 13, 2020
First of all, I apologize for any lack of info or using any wrong terms to explain my issues as I really have very poor knowledge on PC stuffs so do forgive me for that.

As the title mentioned,
  • I'm having this issue of FPS drops in Dota 2 whereby things started off quite well on a around 100 - 110fps in laning phase
  • As the game goes longer and when a huge team fight happens where a lot of spells and things are going on, I experienced a major fps drop and sometimes it gets as low as 60 or 70fps.
  • When that happens, my screen literally froze for like a sec or 2, which means I can feel the fps drops and it's affecting my gaming experience.
  • Problem didn't happened in the past until recently and its happening more and more frequent
  • Initially, it only happens occasionally so I didn't really bother about it but now it happens almost every single day.

• My Dota 2 video settings are as shown in the screenshot, but I highly doubt it's because of that as I was on a higher settings (Default) in the past and I don't experience this
  • https://postimg.cc/VJQcf6X8
  • My PC specs are:
Intel Core i5 8500
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
1x 8GB RAM DDR4
60Hz Monitor
(Please let me know if other specs are needed to better address my issues)

- Please also see the screenshot whereby I watched a live game and captured the moments where the FPS dropped to 60+, I've used MSI Afterburner to display the info that seems to be the factors affecting this problem.
https://postimg.cc/s1TXgp2R
(Again, please let me know if I missed anything out)
  • What I've noticed is that my GPU usage is kind of low but my CPU usage is higher than the GPU, also the RAM usage is quite high I suppose?
  • In this case could it be a bottleneck in one of these components? And what should I do to resolve it?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020
Is there any mods around that can shift my question to the CPU section? I kind of feel that it's a CPU bottleneck and urgently needs someone that has better knowledge to give me advices :(

Aug 13, 2020
@Zipperrrrr I realize that your framerate drops are the most important thing in the world RIGHT NOW, but please stop spamming your question in every forum here. If someone has an answer for you they will get to you, please be patient. You may get an answer today, maybe tomorrow, but WAIT.

My apologies on this, I was trying to find a button to delete this post and wanted to post it under the CPU section but I can't seem to find a delete thread button. It's kind of urgent as I have a tournament coming up in a few days and is hoping to resolve it before it comes. I appreciate if you could assist me in moving this to the CPU section as it seems like a CPU issue from what I read on many sources?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My apologies on this, I was trying to find a button to delete this post and wanted to post it under the CPU section but I can't seem to find a delete thread button.

There is no way to delete your thread, this is the right section. Your CPU doesn't magically start bottlenecking when it worked fine before. I don't know what the solution is, but thats not it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From what I'm seeing in the images, all your ram is getting used up, and when that happens, the game will start writing temporary files to your storage drive, which is FAR slower than ram.
Before you say that it's not 8GBs in the images, remember that the OS does reserve some for itself.

So if things were fine before, you need to figure out what, or where, the extra ram munching is coming from.

Aug 13, 2020
From what I'm seeing in the images, all your ram is getting used up, and when that happens, the game will start writing temporary files to your storage drive, which is FAR slower than ram.
Before you say that it's not 8GBs in the images, remember that the OS does reserve some for itself.

So if things were fine before, you need to figure out what, or where, the extra ram munching is coming from.

Yes, I do notice that my ram is like almost all used up when in game and did suspect if that's what causing the fps drops. So it is possible that the problem lies with the ram?

Also, how do I figure out on the extra ram munching you mentioned? Sorry, really bad at PC stuffs.

Aug 13, 2020
Task Manager might be able to show you.

Anything you downloaded recently? Like, some seemingly harmless 3rd party app?
Animated desktop background?

I've screenshot down how my Task Manager looks like when Dota 2 is on, with some of the usual stuffs that I open when playing all the time.

https://postimg.cc/BLyYdxYG

Not really anything major I downloaded except for NXZT Cam, MSI Afterburner and maybe Valorant 2 months ago. Other than that, I can't really recall myself downloading any other stuffs as I usually kept my PC clean and do not download stuffs that I don't use.

My desktop background is pure solid black, and it has been the same since I bought the PC 2 years ago.