fps dropping oc components, maybe bottle necking?

Skull021

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I currently have a issue where my gpu drops in fps when ever i'm on Overwatch it ran it just fine with 150 fps on low to high settings, it can barely manage 100 now and im concerned, I've updated the drivers and even ran a scan on the game for issues. i even tamper with overclocking my build to see if that help in any way but it sadly did not.
CPU Ryzen 5 1600 OC
Motherboard B350 Tomahawk
GPU asus 1060 3gb
Ram corsair vegence 3000
EVGA 600W 80 certified powe supply

Solution
Not messed it up, but may have say set default V-sync on, or set some frame rate limit, if they have such a setting.

AMD's drivers have settings like this that can be applied globally - I'm only assuming NVidia's does as well, and that a new driver installation might have set some defaults that you didn't previously have. You'd have to go into the NVidia control panel to poke around at those settings - I haven't really had the opportunity to do so yet myself.

Skull021

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

pretty noob at this, im just trying to find a solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am more familiar with AMD's drivers, rather than Nvidia's (got my first relatively modern GeForce card only a couple of weeks ago), but there might be some kind of setting in the graphics drivers that allow for limiting frame rates to preserve smoothness. In the Radeon drivers, there's Frame Rate Control, which caps frame rates, and Chill, which allows a minimum and maximum setting. This is basically to help preserve smoothness and prevent the GPU from ramping up for scenes that don't actually need to be fast.

I'm wondering if a driver update went to some kind of default setting.

Also, by any chance, are you using a G-sync monitor?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not messed it up, but may have say set default V-sync on, or set some frame rate limit, if they have such a setting.

AMD's drivers have settings like this that can be applied globally - I'm only assuming NVidia's does as well, and that a new driver installation might have set some defaults that you didn't previously have. You'd have to go into the NVidia control panel to poke around at those settings - I haven't really had the opportunity to do so yet myself.

Solution