[SOLVED] FPS Drops 10-50% small stuttering during gaming, CPU temp/usage high

Nov 23, 2019
if anyone can help fix this i'd be grateful, i have bought 16gb RAM and new fan to drop CPU temperatures and ensure airflow but it's still not fixed, i have updated my drivers, Reset my pc incase of viruses, made sure i applied right amount of thermal paste.

SPECS:

Windows 10

Intel Core i5-3470

Intel DQ77MK

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050Ti

Performance: (CSGO)

Cpu temperature sticks around 70-79'C

Cpu usage:usually around 70-80% but has reached 94%

fps AROUND 90-150 but can reach 180

eve

Solution
Looking at the performance of that cooler, it's not too bad for the CPU. I'd say remove it and replace the thermal paste. It might have just been a bad application from the start if the pre-applied Arctic MX-2 paste was removed and replaced. Another possible reason for higher temps is you are pushing the CPU toward 100% usage more often with newer games that require more CPU threads.

Buy some...
if anyone can help fix this i'd be grateful, i have bought 16gb RAM and new fan to drop CPU temperatures and ensure airflow but it's still not fixed, i have updated my drivers, Reset my pc incase of viruses, made sure i applied right amount of thermal paste.

SPECS:

Windows 10

Intel Core i5-3470

Intel DQ77MK

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050Ti

Performance: (CSGO)

Cpu temperature sticks around 70-79'C

Cpu usage:usually around 70-80% but has reached 94%

fps AROUND 90-150 but can reach 180

eve
Is this a branded system like Dell or Lenovo or did someone build it? What is the model of the system if it's prebuilt and is it a slim case?

Looking at the performance of that cooler, it's not too bad for the CPU. I'd say remove it and replace the thermal paste. It might have just been a bad application from the start if the pre-applied Arctic MX-2 paste was removed and replaced. Another possible reason for higher temps is you are pushing the CPU toward 100% usage more often with newer games that require more CPU threads.

Buy some Arctic MX-4 or some other brand and model of paste and clean the CPU and heat-sink and reapply the paste.

Solution
Nov 23, 2019
I have already reapplied thermal paste but i cleaned it with hand sanitizer as i left my main stuff at another house, it cleaned it off well but does it require isopropyl alchohol?? and is the high cpu temps causing my cpu usage to be high?

I have already reapplied thermal paste but i cleaned it with hand sanitizer as i left my main stuff at another house, it cleaned it off well but does it require isopropyl alchohol?? and is the high cpu temps causing my cpu usage to be high?
You should always clean with at minimum 70% isopropyl alcohol. Hand sanitizer is not really a good alternative as it can leave behind residue that may cause issues with proper cooling. Wipe the CPU and heat-sink with paper towel or coffee filter dipped in the alcohol and rub them both. Usually 3-4 pieces of cleaning material and somewhat rigorous rubbings should clean them well enough. I usually make 6-8 2"x2" paper towel squares that I fold over to to make a 1" square if I don't have something better to clean with.

Ok i will reapply the thermal paste with the isopropyl alc and see if makes a difference. but does temperature affect performance/fps drops/stuttering
The CPU throttles it's frequency when it's too hot, which will cause games to have lower fps or possibly stutter when you go from say 3.8Ghz down to 3Ghz. It may also be some other part in the computer, but generally it's a good idea to start with making sure the CPU isn't thermal throttling to rule it out by keeping it under 72c.