Question FPS drops after after BIOS update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2023
Hi

has anyone had such a problem that after updating the motherboard's bios only in games the FPS drops to 30/15/3 ? in benhmarks is ok

i fought with it all day ;/ drivers, system, bios reset, disk, power supply until i remembered that I also did a bios update some time ago

i restored the old version of the F21 bios and finally there are no fps drops ^^ strange

Gigabyte Z490M
Gigabyte 1660 Ti
i5 10400f
G.Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
M.2 Kingston SA2000M8/500G
Supremo FM2 Gold 650W

to make sure, i updated for test F22 bios again = fps drops
on F21 everything works fine

maybe i need to change something in BIOS after update ?

Solution
Well, the bottom line is, some BIOS revisions simply do not work with some hardware combinations and that is a big part of the reason why they HAVE updates and release new firmware revisions sometimes. Usually though it's not a matter of "worked in the previous version" and now it doesn't, but "not usually" isn't the same as "never", so it does happen that sometimes some hardware has issues after an update from time to time.

I think Gigabyte is definitely who you need to be dealing with to see if you can resolve this because it's clearly JUST BIOS related from what you've said so far so there is really nothing anybody can do to help with that except for Gigabyte. Sometimes for specific users of certain hardware they will release...
Try updating to version F22b and see if you still have the same issue as with version F22. Also, EACH time you change BIOS versions it's a good idea to fully reset the BIOS by disconnecting power to the system by flipping off the switch on the back of the PSU, pulling the CMOS battery, pressing the power button on the case for a few seconds, then put it all back and power up, then reconfigure your BIOS settings for any custom settings you might require, then retest it to see if there are any issues. That is valid whether going forward or backward with release versions.

Aug 12, 2023
i did resets, even replaced the batteries with a new one ;/ changed the power supply and even the drives and nothing helped

only restoring F21 bios helped as to F22b in my free time I will check

----- edit after tests

on F22b it's the same as on F22 ;/ benchmarks work properly but in games FPS drops to 30/15/3 sometimes it's different ^^ what's interesting in the game menu it returns to normal only during the game the FPS drops

installed msi afterburner for OSD and noticed some strange things happening with frequency drop

in benhmarks is ok
in game menus is ok
in game (playing) cpu drops to 800MHz, gpu 500MHz

i don't know what's going on ^^If anyone has the same problem after updating bios, go back to the old version

i sent a message to gigabyte, we'll see what they say

Last edited:
Well, the bottom line is, some BIOS revisions simply do not work with some hardware combinations and that is a big part of the reason why they HAVE updates and release new firmware revisions sometimes. Usually though it's not a matter of "worked in the previous version" and now it doesn't, but "not usually" isn't the same as "never", so it does happen that sometimes some hardware has issues after an update from time to time.

I think Gigabyte is definitely who you need to be dealing with to see if you can resolve this because it's clearly JUST BIOS related from what you've said so far so there is really nothing anybody can do to help with that except for Gigabyte. Sometimes for specific users of certain hardware they will release specialized BIOS firmware that they do not provide to the general public because most users don't have the same problem. I've had both ASUS and Gigabyte do this in the past through their tech support so it's something that's not out of the question but it also doesn't mean they WILL do that either. Still, they are probably your best shot other than simply staying with F21 which you should not consider to be a problem either unless you were having issues with that version.

Solution
Aug 12, 2023
Thank you for your help

i'll wait for an answer from gigabyte because it's rather strange :}

if I get an answer from gigabyte, i'll paste it

Aug 12, 2023
yes but not from 70 FPS max settings in Cyberpunk/Witcher3 to 15 FPS

something is wrong with the bios or my configuration and this latest bios

i'm waiting for a response from gigabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.