Question FPS drops after playing for a while (High-End PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
For some reason this only happens when I play Call of Duty Warzone. I have tried doing a complete fresh install of Windows and no backup of any sort and the problem still persists. For this reason I am ruling out a software issue, but then again, I could be wrong. I downloaded Afterburner to look at the graphs of when the issue occurs and here is what I have taken note of.

GPU temp from 70 to 62
GPU Core clock and memory clock stays the same
Power % Drops from 75 to 50
Fan speed drops from constant 49% to 41%
CPU Usage drops from Average 50% to Average 30%
CPU Temp remains same at average 60C
FPS SIGNIFICANT DROP from 150 to 70

I do not OC the GPU and I noticed the issue still occurs whether or not I overclock the CPU.
Current fix is to just restart game but same issue occurs after a while.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel i9-9900k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080 8GB VENTUS OC
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200
PSU: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME
WD Black 1TB NVME (Warzone is installed on this drive, it was previously installed on the Samsung but the issue existed on there as well)

For some reason this only happens when I play Call of Duty Warzone. I have tried doing a complete fresh install of Windows and no backup of any sort and the problem still persists. For this reason I am ruling out a software issue, but then again, I could be wrong. I downloaded Afterburner to look at the graphs of when the issue occurs and here is what I have taken note of.

GPU temp from 70 to 62
GPU Core clock and memory clock stays the same
Power % Drops from 75 to 50
Fan speed drops from constant 49% to 41%
CPU Usage drops from Average 50% to Average 30%
CPU Temp remains same at average 60C
FPS SIGNIFICANT DROP from 150 to 70

I do not OC the GPU and I noticed the issue still occurs whether or not I overclock the CPU.
Current fix is to just restart game but same issue occurs after a while.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel i9-9900k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080 8GB VENTUS OC
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200
PSU: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME
WD Black 1TB NVME (Warzone is installed on this drive, it was previously installed on the Samsung but the issue existed on there as well)
I'd suspect the temp values for the CPU are incorrect and it's probably throttling back due to heat. Try a different program to monitor CPU temp under a gaming load. What chassis are you using and how/where is the AOI mounted? What is the case fan configuration?

Have you tried speeding up the fans on MSI afterburner and try turning settings down abit?

Couple of threads that might help you or give you abit of ideas!

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
I'd suspect the temp values for the CPU are incorrect and it's probably throttling back due to heat. Try a different program to monitor CPU temp under a gaming load. What chassis are you using and how/where is the AOI mounted? What is the case fan configuration?

Nope, CPU temp values are correct. I checked with HWMonitor and the values are essentially identical. I am using an NZXT H710i. AOI is mounted on the front using a push configuration. 3 fans on the front, 1 back exhaust and 2 top exhaust fans.

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
Have you tried speeding up the fans on MSI afterburner and try turning settings down abit?

I'll try speeding the fans up. When you say turning the settings down a bit do you mean the graphic settings in the game? I have done that. I tried and all low, medium, and high and the problem still occurs which is why it's so frustrating. The strange thing is that let's I am running at High setting at avg 150 FPS. The issue occurs and drops to 70 FPS. When I decrease all the graphic settings to Low, there is no difference and the FPS still stays around 70-80 FPS.

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
Is your windows power management set to performance? What's the model of your EVGA PSU?
It is currently set to Ultimate Performance. I first had it set to Balanced and I thought if I changed it to Ultimate Performance maybe that might fix the issue but nope, same thing.
EVGA 120-G1-0650-XR GOLD 650W Fully Modular Continuous Power Supply

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
PSU is pretty good. Power setting checks out. Are you overclocking or just XMP?

Just XMP. When I would OC to 5.0Ghz the problem would happen as well. So I know it has nothing to do OC. So I did an experiment and when it happened I rasied my fan speed to 100%. It would help with the FPS a lot actually (like goes from 70 fps to 90-100 but not the original 150fps I should get) but the thing is the temps don't match up. I use the in-game temp settings, HWMonitor, and MSI Afterburner so I'm genuinely confused. I also tried this page file trick in this forum so I don't know which was a semi-fix lol

Just XMP. When I would OC to 5.0Ghz the problem would happen as well. So I know it has nothing to do OC. So I did an experiment and when it happened I rasied my fan speed to 100%. It would help with the FPS a lot actually (like goes from 70 fps to 90-100 but not the original 150fps I should get) but the thing is the temps don't match up. I use the in-game temp settings, HWMonitor, and MSI Afterburner so I'm genuinely confused. I also tried this page file trick in this forum so I don't know which was a semi-fix lol

I'm running out of ideas. You have plenty of ram. Are you running non-OS progs in the background that could be eating compute cycles? Have you tried shutting down everything possible except the game to see if that helps? Are any of your drives near full?

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
I'm running out of ideas. You have plenty of ram. Are you running non-OS progs in the background that could be eating compute cycles? Have you tried shutting down everything possible except the game to see if that helps? Are any of your drives near full?

Only thing running in background is Discord, Logitech G-Hub, BattleNet and the monitoring programs. Yeah I did do a restart and only have Warzone launched and same issue. Yeah I am also running out of ideas lol. Only 1 drive is near full (900/1000GB) but it's a storage drive with no games or programs at all. Strictly files

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35172472

I only have the programs open and not the actually game itself.
That's fine.

Minor change, nothing significant or substantial affected.
I suspect the game itself, or in-game settings... though contradictory to that - for performance to drop that much... there's some kind of throttling occurring:
A)Power.
Motherboard VRMs? Though the review tells me that particular model can handle a 9900K just fine... so probably not this then.

B)Temperature.
You've ruled out the cpu and gpu, but those aren't the only devices that could thermal throttle and cause issues. [Userbenchmark could be too short for any of these to pop up.]
-Motherboard VRM. I'm pretty sure it's not this, as the 9900K's clocks would also drop as a result.
-Storage can overheat and slow down. M.2s are tricky because they have 2 temperature sensors - flash and the controller - and the latter actually runs better warm.
M.2 slots above the gpu are like the worst place for them in PCs with high power gpus that are axial fan cooled; the M.2 is in the path of the gpu's exhaust.

C)Ethernet(ping).
Coincidental heavy traffic? Or something else is using up bandwidth - like a torrent program?
Or it could be that dastardly NZXT CAM. That darn thing accesses the company's servers often for who knows what...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Give hwinfo a go; let it run in the background while you play until you run into the hiccup.
It can highlight power and thermal issues with most of your devices, like so:
J55j0Ik.png

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
Give hwinfo a go; let it run in the background while you play until you run into the hiccup.
It can highlight power and thermal issues with most of your devices, like so:

How would I know if there is a problem with power and thermal issue? Kind of hard looking at a million sensors and information

Status
Not open for further replies.